need recommnedation for type of rental trailer to use

I will need to pick up a heavy crate from the UPS freight terminal... The crate is 900lbs, 67"x30"x30. (It's a lathe)
I was thinking to rent a u-haul utility trailer to go pick this up. U-haul has both a 6'x12' ultility trailer with a completely removable tailgate, and a similar trailer that has a fold down ramp. These are the open-topped utility trailer - not the fully enclosed cargo trailer.
I've never picked up freight at a terminal - and don't know what to rent. I did call the UPS frieght terminal and asked what they needed, but they didn't know any more than I.
So, if anyone has picked up something heavy like this from a freight terminal: what type trailer would be easiest for UPS to load a 900 lb crate - removable tailgate, or fold-down ramp?
Thanks,
Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

removable tailgate is better. What is your tow vehicle?
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:49:17 -0500, Ignoramus12689 wrote:

Chevy tahoe 4 door, 4x4... the hitch is rated for over 5,000 lbs but I would never try to tow that much weght.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

On 10/03/2014 10:37 AM, Bill wrote:

One presumes it's on pallet and likely arranged for side access w/ a forklift so the ideal in that case would be a flatbed trailer that can set the load down onto from side access to be able to balance load fore/aft altho at "only" 900 lb as long as the trailer is wide enough to accommodate the length you'll be able to get by if it's just not too long behind the axle to put too much uplift on the trailer tongue.
If it's a car hauler or the like you'll definitely want to be able to get the ramps completely out of the way; don't want them to have to try to drive their forklift up on the trailer.
Of course, the even nice would be if you had a standard-height trailer so can just back up to the dock... :)
On 10/3/2014 12:11 PM, dpb wrote: ...

I seem to recall looking into having something delivered that I would pick up at the UPS terminal. As I recall, I HAD to have a dock-high trailer 'cause they would not move it down to the ground. Anybody know for sure?
On 10/03/2014 12:42 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

All depends on the site...some will, some won't. Have to check with them at the location to know for certain. In general, one can say "they'd prefer not even if can" and may be an additional charge if the will/do.
Obviously, one needs to know these things before heading on out on an assumption...

All terminals near me have ground ramps.
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Depends on the location, most of the UPS outfits around here will let you come in and load off the floor as long as you do all the work, unless there happens to be a loadout going on.
--
Steve W.

Hard to get close to the trailer with a fork lift or pallet jack if you have a ramp. But if you need to drag the crate on, a ramp can be a definite advantage. need more info - which apparently UPS (Universally Poor Service) cannot provide. What else is new???

Also important is how you are going to unload it. You may want to consider a lift gate truck. Art

That would be my recommendation.
On 10/03/2014 10:37 AM, Bill wrote:

Justa' followup to previous--
I sorta' glided over this...if these are the enclosed-side trailers just w/o the top, I'd suggest you need to really check the inner dimensions -- 67" isn't _that_ far from 72" and if those are just nominal and not actual it'd be a pita to find the crate is a little longer than advertised and the opening a little narrow...it'd be a nice driver test, anyway... :)
I'd recommend to go w/ a full flatbed, no sides and take load straps for tie down...

If you can't get to the actual worker-bees via phone, it's probably worth a trip by to find out first hand before the big day arrives.

Thanks Iggy, and guys. I'll my going to go with the Iggy's recommendation. If that fails - I'll have to figure something else out.
I asked several companies in my area if they would pick the shipment up from UPS and deliver it - but the one that said they would pick up and deliver for a couple hundred, has no reviews, and bbb has no records of their "30 year old" company . I had not contacted these guys myself; but had contacted a company they apparently use to steer business to them. So even though it would solve all my problems with loading/unloading - I'm really leery of using them unless I have no other choice.
I'll bring a manual winch and other stuff I might need, hope it's acceptable to UPS. As long as UPS will just get it onto the trailer, I think (hope) I can get the rest done by myself, get it home and get it unloaded.
Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

Bill wrote:

Got an auto tow outfit nearby? Many would be happy to make some extra money taking a rollback over to pick up and drop off a crate. Used to do it quite a bit when I had mine. Easy and clean money.
--
Steve W.

My South Bend arrived on one. The dealer slid it down very carefully because lathes are top-heavy. -jsw

When I was building large machines the max weight a crew could muscle onto the truck with J-bars and pipe rollers was 5000 lbs.
Coincidentally that's the average weight of a Great Pyramid stone block. http://www.ancientnile.co.uk/pyramids.php "13. The average weight of each stone was 2.5 tonnes."
-jsw

A forklift is not that expensive, for $3k you could buy a 6,000 lbs forklift.

<snip> Rent a pick-up, buy several case of beer (for the boys to help you unload at home), and go for it.
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,

Just rent a truck with a liftgate. You can reach any dock and unload at ground level. Get a pallet jack too, so you can manueuver the load indoors and move it around. Get the rental place to throw in a dock plate. You only need those when you don't have one around. That's just how it works for some reason. With those tools, moving 900 pounds isn't hard at all. Without them, you're just wasting time by not being prepared.
On 10/03/2014 6:39 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote: ...

+1