Need to replace an old 8" bench grinder

I finally decided to dump the 20+ year old 8" Harbor Fright grinder that shakes the whole house every time I turn it on.

Since I've got a pair of ~$40 each 1" wide wheels I bought about 10 years ago, I'm looking to replace it with something the same size.

Are there any on-line reviews of bench grinders?

How about recent magazine articles?

What brands should I avoid?

TIA

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

I've had good luck with Baldor's, but they are kind of pricey.

Reply to
Rastus

I have a used Baldor, 1/2 HP, 7 and 8 inch wheels, it works like in a dream. Super quiet and smooth turning. Very solidly built from cast iron, cannot be compared with stamped cheap grinders. I am sure that with my typical use, it will outlast me.

Ignoramus29068

According to Norm Dresner :

O.K.

I don't know about the direct answers to your questions above, but I will say that I got a Jet brand 8" bench grinder from a local hardware store which normally sells to building contractors. It had been sitting in the window long enough so the box was noticeably faded, perhaps ten years or so. It was the only one which they had.

I was uncertain about the Jet brand, but it turned out to be a very nice, quiet grinder, with very well balanced wheels. It takes nearly forever to spin down after I switch it off, so the bearings are quite nice as well.

And -- it spins up almost instantly, so it is not one of those underpowered motors in an oversized housing as so many of the cheap bench grinders turn out to be these days.

I don't know whether a more recent Jet would be as good.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You might consider a belt driven arbor on pillow blocks. You'll never have to replace the whole thing again, just parts. Lots of advantages!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

never have

time....any hints who still sells these? I have not seen one fo years

Reply to
resneps