New Proxxon lathe question #2

From my reading it looks as though a drill chuck for the tailstock would be an important thing to have.

The choices seem to be:

Buy the Proxxon one. It costs $45 (more than some entire drills), but it would be quick and easy and ought to work.

Find some other compatible model.

Figure out how to turn a taper, and mount one of the spare drill chucks that I have sitting around.

Regarding the latter two options, the first step seems to be figuring out what the tailstock taper is. The documentation with the lathe says that it is "MK1 (short)". Google has not been very successful at telling me what that might be; I am guessing that it might be a metric Morse taper.

The catalog says that the taper is "MT1 (short)". This is probably Morse 1 but shorter in some dimension by some unknown amount. I think MT1 is a 1:20 taper, so I suppose if I could turn that with sufficient accuracy I could keep making it smaller until it fit.

Does anyone out there know what this taper really is, or have any advice?

Bob

Reply to
Bob S

Arbors:

dimensions:
jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Having a drill chuck for the tailstock is important. Making an arbor for a chuck you already have is not that difficult. I have made some that work well by simply guessing at the taper needed , cutting the taper and then seeing how it fits. And touching up the taper so it is right. But you can buy an arbor for about $5 plus shipping.

So I would buy one and later make a extra long one for another drill chuck. I find a extra long one handy sometimes.

Recommend getting a catalog from MSC, Enco, and Wholesale Tool.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thank you! It looks like I could get an arbor from LMS, plus one of their chucks if mine are not the right taper, for not much money.

Reply to
Bob S