new spot welder

I ordered a sort of handheld type spot welder. It's Miller and rated something like 6000A with the 6" tongs and uses 220V. I called to make
sure it's ok to use at 240 (and not go into saturation) or 208 and was told no problem as the input tolerance is +/-10%.
Too much sniping bullshit on ebay with these things so it was time to just buy new. The import ones smell too bad new and the ratings are 100% bullshit anyways.
Any fun tips, tricks or stories with these spot welders?
On 14/06/16 21:38, Cydrome Leader wrote:

Can you provide a link to what you're referring to as a quick search didn't turn up any decent hits, a good link to the Miller and an import example would be good for comparison purposes. I have an older Tecna? Italian made spot welder that'll do that sort of current and it has performed well but without a decent reference to what you're referring to I can't really comment further.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

I use an OLD Lenco with a clamp head and the individual tongs in the shop right next to an import clamp unit. Both do a good job. The biggest thing is keeping the contact points shaped and clean. Neither of mine have an issue with good weld through primer. The only issue I have had with the Lenco was finding a replacement grip and the upper clamp cracked (TIG to the rescue). The import works just fine but doesn't like anything over 14 gauge. It also was cheap enough that if it dies tomorrow I won't care...
--
Steve W.