New (to me) Forney inverter welder

I just saw what's new to me in the Forney section at my local shop: A very compact (6.2lb) inverter Mig unit for $299 retail. They advertise it as "scratch-start TIG ready" (TIG torch and supplies sold separately)

The MIG specs are 85 amps at 35% duty cycle. It looks like an entertaining addtion to my shop (even though I have a little Lincoln MIG already... mine's not TIG capable.) I didn't note the input voltage.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

entertaining

I bought a 60% duty cycle 185 amp tig welder. I wish I bought a bigger one. :(

Reply to
Dave Lyon

A MIG that does TIG!? Not so common for the prize tag.

85A @ 35%, that sounds like Mikey Mouse. _That_ is entertainment.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I figured it would fit the sort of teensy work I'd need to TIG. But then, like getting a new hammer, everything in the shop would start looking like it needed TIG-ing, and I'd be sorry I got such a small machine.

Still... the thought of picking up a little 6lb job instead of my 100lb Lincoln has its attractions.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It is not hard to build a power source that would be either constant current and constant voltage at the same time, so if Forney did it, that would be great. Does it have gas valves etc?

85 amps is too low to weld a lot of things that need welding, though. i
Reply to
Ignoramus24570

I was not clear, I meant a device that could operate either in constant current or in constant voltage mode depending on setting.

Ignoramus24570

Probably the same one that Harbor Freight sells.

Gunner

Gunner

I didn't have time to actually look at the machine. I will next time in town.

No, Iggy... you cannot have both constant voltage and constant current simultaneously, unless you also maintain exactly the same arc length all the time -- a little hard for a handheld torch.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

How much 3 phase do you have available? Ive a Hobart CyberTig 2, that Id give someone who wanted it. Capable of 600 amps

Gunner

Gunner

Ok... I take my chide back. THAT you can do.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I think very highly of those CyberTigs.

Ignoramus24570

Come get it. Its been sitting out side for a year now, hopefuly with a tarp still on it...and it needs to find a home. Its got the full programmer drawer in it too.

Gunner

Gunner

Want to bet that Iggy *cant* kludge together a torch head that haz a servo to maintain a constant arc length? :-) Sounds like just the sort of little project he'd enjoy sketching plans for while recovering from the christmas dinner.

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Man! I wish we lived closer. I've only got 200 amps of 3 phase, but I can get all I need. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Theres no reason an inverter should be less than 100% duty .

It runs cool, cause it dont store energy .

common welders store a tremendous energy

in the inducance between the primary and secondary .

laminated core helps greatly to store .

But its just 2 capacitors that store the energy in

an inverter . The amps goin in and out have a very

low ohms , so cant heat up .

They put such a small core in , that it heats up ....

They should just use a proper ferritte core and run

it the normal 150 khz .

I got PC power supplies , that have a 300 watt core , so small

you could 4 in ur hand ! They run cool .

It all just false economy .

Reply to
werty

And you are making electronics as a profession!?

Merry Christmas!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Input is only 100 amps. So you would be golden

On a cart. Needs a pedal..though thats easy enough

Road Trip!!!!

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner