Where to get turned wooden handles

Does any one know where I can get a nice hardwood turned handle with metal ferrule for a custom tool I am making?

I can only find cheap file handles.

Reply to
Alex

This is how people buy a nice lathe to complement their mill :) I bought, about 3m ago, 9x20 from HF, for $500, brand new and it is an excellent machine .

If you put a 1/2" x ~12" square bar into the tool holder, you can use it as a wood lathe too. Just make sure to religiously clean the ways of chips/dust after you turn wood on it, it is corrosive.

McMaster etc, sell handles for machinist files , for $1 - $2 a pop. See if sizes fit your particular tool

Reply to
rashid111

go to your local woodworkers store and tell them what you want....they will hook you up with everything you need to make your own or they will hook you up with a woodturner that will make them to your satisfaction. I have a custom handle for every one of my files (a lot). It takes like maybe 10 min. to make one and all you really need is something to turn it (wood lathe, metal lathe, drill press, hand drill ) and not much more than a file and some sandpaper. It doesn't get much easer than that.

Mike

Reply to
mike

?c=2&p=20136&cat=1,42524,50738Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

"Alex" wrote: Does any one know where I can get a nice hardwood turned handle with metal ferrule for a custom tool I am making? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Post to Rec.crafts.woodturning, giving your location. There's bound to be someone within a reasonable distance who would do this for you--maybe a labor swap could be arranged.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

ferrule for a

There used to be many wood turning operations in this state that would do small custom runs. I used to have custom teak handles made at reasonable cost for the fancy bronze pilot wheels we made. This appears to be one of the few that are left, but I'm sure there are others.

Casey's is a retailer of all sorts of wood products and may be able to help.
Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Why not make them? It's easy, use copper tube for the ferrules or brass if it's your fancy. A chunk of wood and a few minutes on a lathe. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Reply to
William Noble

I don't rememer where, probably one of Guy Lautard's books, an article about making handles to custon fit the hand. Maybe this will jog someones memory?

Errol Groff

Merry Christmas to all from the New England Model Engineering Society

Reply to
Errol Groff

Yep - that is where to find those instructions. Not sure which one of the three 'Bedside readers' it is in but one should have all three anyway.

affiliation - just a satisfied reader (and - shameless plug - there is a link in Guy's site to my own website).

Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

I made a custom fit handle for the stick in my Minimax ultralight by using that epoxy putty. I got the stuff all mixed up and wrapped around the aluminum tube and with a silicone release agent on just squeezed it to fit my hand. It even has my fingerprints in it.

Reply to
daniel peterman

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:37:42 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (daniel peterman) quickly quoth:

Wouldn't that make it hard to use ambidextrously?

For files and rasps, I prefer the pear shaped handles, especially for swap-handed use or with my forefinger and thumb (smaller files/rifflers)?.

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me: "Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."

-
Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote: Wouldn't that make it hard to use ambidextrously? (clip) Not at all. Just turn the handle inside-out.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

If you have two hands you can just make two. I am stricttly right handed so if my right hand can't steer the plane then I am going down. The plane is for sale BTW

Reply to
daniel peterman

As a woodturner (not near San Francisco) I find that handles which are too specific become irritating to use, as they don't permit any change in grip, comfortably. I also dislike shiny, plasticy finishes on wooden handles (and plastic handles at all) - I find that an oil/wax finish on wood gives better feel, and is less likely to cause blisters in prolonged use.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

In my younger days..I made up a set of grips for a 1911 (45 self loading pistol for you poor firearms challenged types) out of wood putty. They indeed fit like a glove, and became an extension of my right hand. It shot where I looked.

It was totally unusable lefthanded. Not only unusable..but actually hurt the hand to shoot it. And no one else was able to shoot it with any comfort right handed either.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:12:27 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (daniel peterman) quickly quoth:

Oops!

Let's hope so!

P.S: I often wonder why people settle for things like that. ;)

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me: "Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."

-
Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:54:42 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ecnerwal quickly quoth:

I can't say about ultralite control stick handles (Somebody let me fly theirs, please. I had Basic Aviation in HS and Dad let me fly a rented Cherokee C out to Catalina Island once.) but I prefer generic handles for tools. The exception is push-saws. D-handles are the way to go there, but the straight rattan-wrapped stick on my ryoba is excellent for a pull-saw.

My hand gets tired in one position so I'm constantly moving it around, changing hands, etc. when filing/brushing/rasping. Plainer handles make for a better all-around fit for me. Short pear shapes and camel humps (a longer handle with a smooth depression in the center/bumps on either side) work comfortably, too.

Agreed, Waterlox and Johnson's Wax are wonderful on handles.

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me: "Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."

-
Reply to
Larry Jaques

I can do better than let you fly this MiniMax. I want to sell it. for the same price as the kit now costs with extras that add up to about

1000 over the basic. It is all built and covered and has never been flown. Engine and propeller included. I'm in San Diego
Reply to
daniel peterman