Nice Lathe for the Consumate Hobbist

This guy is going to require one hell of a phase converter

Jay Cups

Reply to
JayCups

Do you think that I could lift it into my truck with my truck crane?

Ignoramus28163

For a second there, I thought it was a tunnel boring machine.

42
Reply to
42

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:26:43 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus28163 quickly quoth:

I think that crane would have trouble lifting a PICTURE of it, Ig.

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think that that lathe would make a nice pancake out of my truck. I was kidding.

Ignoramus28163

This reminds me of the three milling machines I saw offered at a Boeing auction from a closed production line. If they didn't have a 150' bed length, it was close. Boeing apparently had relocated another one as there was a 12' or so deep hole alongside the others. In retrospect, the at-first puzzling fact that none of the remaining three units went for more than 6K was understandable.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

If it had a gap bed, you could mount your truck between centers, overhaul the suspension, clean the fuel tank, change the oil (engine, tranny, xfer case, diff) and then undercoat, all without bending over.

You can make small stuff on big machines, but you can't make big stuff on small machines...

Reply to
Cecil Ogg

You could probably fit your truck into tha lathe.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some big machines are actually a liability and don't get any bids at all.

Reply to
ATP*

If they didn't sell it, they would have to pay someone a bundle of cash to take it away!

Reply to
woodworker88

Nah, he doesn't drive a Ranger.

But it does look like it would sw> Ignoramus28163 wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

At a shop I worked years back they had two old Prat and Whitney Star Turn lathes with good old NC controls. One of them was having some problems so they replaced them both. We were fortunate that a local one man shop was interested in the running one. We gave him a two for one deal, move them out and they are yours! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:50:27 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus28163 quickly quoth:

Heh heh heh. I know. So was I.

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:00:07 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Cecil Ogg quickly quoth:

Can ye make a replacement watch gear pivot for me on that lathe? ;)

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't, anymore. I sent the lousy piece of F#$D to the crusher about two months ago.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ya beat me to it.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Easy--mount a watchmaker's lathe on the compound and have at it.

Reply to
Cecil Ogg

Why not? King Kong did.

Reply to