Wayne Cook-Big Lathe?

Wayne, you said you were looking for a big lathe. Have you seen this one? Not that far from you.

Gary Brady

No I hadn't seen it. Thanks. It's just a little bigger than I'm looking for. Anything over 20-21" actual swing just gets to heavy and awkward to run for most of my work.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Aint it the truth! I do most of my stuff with a 5" adjust tru chuck on a

13.5" lathe
Reply to
Paul

Leigh at MarMachine, who posts here, has a 18" Clausing for sale, very reaonably IRRC

Gunner

Gunner

The same ad also lists an 18" lathe...

Reply to
Clif Holland

Interesting. I wonder what the centers are. I need a minimum of 8' and the max I can fit in the shop is 10'. The 21" max swing of my Sidney (the lathe I'm trying to replace) is about perfect. There's been a few times that I've used it all and only about 3 times that it wasn't big enough. Bigger lathes tend to be to heavy to use for the smaller work which is the majority that I do.

I've got a standing buyer for the Sidney if I can find a replacement. It's not a bad lathe but with the flat belt drive I can't hog much on it without slipping the belt and the top speed is to slow for some of my work. It also has a pretty bad taper near the chuck.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

So it does. They don't list the center distance. I probably should call and find out if I can manage to get a free moment today.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

I've got a 16" x 120" LeBlond that I'd give away for the help in moving it out of the shop. It's buried behind two mills and two grinders. it has become a tool shelf sence I got the 22"x72" Mazak CNC running. Warning: It will take more than a day to extract and you ain't gonna haul it home in a pickup truck.

Karl Dassel MN

Reply to
Karl Townsend
8+ inch spindle hole would allow some lathes to fit through!

Snider - hum - sounds like oil country to me. :-) Might have a taper option on it - for drill stem!

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Gary Brady wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Ouch. That hurts. 2000+ mile round trip. That's almost as bad a the

2400+ miles to Gunners and back. But man what a incentive to make the trip.

Hmm. Is that 16" name plate or actual? According to this listing this particular 16" LeBlonde actually swings 20 1/2". Pretty darn close to what I'm looking for.

Is it similar to that lathe?

For some reason I'm thinking that it's a Servo Shift. Seems to me that I remember you talking about it in the past. That would make it more like this one.

That might also make the actual swing smaller. I believe that LeBlonde stopped underrating there swing as much in later years.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Ayup...fishing tool lathe. Too short for drill stem

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I wish.

I really wish. ( I was weaned on a servo shift, and it plumb spoilt me)

Na, it's an old klunker. Flat belt drive machine. Sounds like same condition as your Sidney. Max speed 660 and only two horsepower. But by 16", they mean 16" over the carriage, not to the ways. Also 120" means what you can chuck between the three jaw and tailstock, not distance from spindle to end of lathe. The meaning of swing and length has changed over time.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Ah yes the old measurement system. Makes more sense than the modern one but sure does make a lathe sound small. Yep sounds much like my old Sidney. There's a pretty good picture of it on this page (fortunately my hand had just got through wiping and oiling it down so it looks good :-)

It's a good old lathe but just not up to really making any money in a commercial shop. Just to slow on stock removal and to slow a speed to get a good finish on mild steel.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Gnaw - just right - the stem sticks out the head side into multiple centered holders. Then it is slip back roll down and roll down another... :-)

Just teasing - but outboard holders are common in long things - like barrels....

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Very true, and in fact, I know of one such setup here in Taft. I can also see where the stem started to whip, once upon a time as the holders were smashed and repaired at least once..and the Rockford lathe has multiple pods of repair concrete under the feet where the hold downs were jerked out.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch