Nitronic 50 High Strength Steel

Does anyone know a source for Nitronic 50 High Strength Steel, ASME SA-479, S20910? It seems to be unavailable in the U.S.! Thanks.

Reply to
Tiziano

Google is your friend.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

;-)

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

McMaster-Carr carries rounds. I'm not sure how their price compares to other sources. It's also available as shafting for boats under the name "Aquamet", with tighter tolerances on the diameter, straightness, and finish. IIRC, Nitronic

50 = Aquamet 22.

If you can figure out how to grind a chip breaker that'll work when turning this stuff, I'd love to hear it.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

me&no metals in Houston Texas or there about stocks it in several different shapes

Reply to
williamhenry

McMasterKarr has it as well as Fry Metals in L.A. 15-5 has similiar properties and is a little cheaper, 17-4 is stronger yet and cheaper. Nitronic 50 was alloyed to accept nitriding (hardening) better than other stainless steels alas the name nitronic. It is some nasty material to machine. I couldn't get it to break a chip even with reccomended commercial inserts.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

We had a shop in SoCal that made downhole tools for geothermal wells out of the stuff. The guy that made them said that ordinary stainless was a joy to work compared to that stuff.

Some of the geothermal wells were over 7000' deep and at the bottom was a highly corrosive, hot and pressurized "fluid". You couldn't call it water in any conventional sense. A tool made of ordinary stainless that made one trip down and back looked like mild steel that had been in saltwater for about

20 years.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have some surplus aerospace pieces.

See:

Richard J Kinch

Just a quick thought, did you run them hard enough? We've got inserts at work that have to be run *scary* fast with a large DOC to get the chip to break. Running them too slow results in very dangerous blue/black ribbon chips.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I tried just about every speed and feed in the book. When I got it up to the recommended SFM it deform the insert and when I got the feed up to what they would reccomend it would chip the inserts. I had a couple of manufacturer reps in for a consult. Part of the problem was I was trying to turn the part to .125 dia. by about 1.3 inches long and it could only have .0002 total deviation in dia.I ended up with a coated dnmg 432 to rough and a coated vnmg 432 to finish with.The v style insert was a special hi rake angle to decrease part deflection.I ended up getting 10 parts per insert turn and having to stop the machine to get rid of those damn stringy chips. Also at that dia. I couldn't get the recommended SFM because my spindle only goes to 6000rpm (and I dont like it going that fast with a three jaw chuck on it) On a side note I made some of the exact same parts out of titanium ALV4-6 without a problem. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie