Non-Contact Digital Tach

In case someone is interested. I received a new All Electronics catalog and it included a hand held, non contact tachometer for $47.75. Speed range of 2.5 to 99,999 RPM. No obvious computer outputs. href="

"

Reply to
keith bowers

Hmm. I can get these for $10 less ($38) if enough people are interested. I'd need about 25 or so. E-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com if so.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

FWIW, when stuck without a proper tach, I once used my oscilloscope with an old relay coil connected across its input. Held the coil in proximity of a tiny magnet taped onto the rotating part. (Just take the inverse of the time period between the blips on the scope and multiply by 60 to get rpms.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reading messages with a long delay. It's Feb 14 now. Do you have to tape something reflective, like a disk with black and white halves to get these things to read, or can you just point it at a rotating shaft to get it to read?

Sphero, did you get many responses?

RWL

******* Remove _NOSPAM_ to reply via email *******
Reply to
RWL

No, you need something like a piece of tape.

Hi, yes, I think I have enough. If anyone else is interested, please let me know. I'll settle things up on Sunday evening!

Thanks!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hey Bob,

I've got one of Speffs, and I just put a piece of black tape around the spindle, and then used a white "typo correction" fluid to make equal spacings of white and black.

I couldn't recall, so I just went out and looked. It's on a 10 SB, and the free end of the spindle right at the bearing housing there is a collar for setting thrust or something, and it is about a 2" OD diameter. I have wrapped the tape around that, and have 8 white places and 8 black spaces. Why?? I don't know now. But it works OK.

Biggest problem was to get the sensor in a fairly protected space and so the end guard on the lathe could close.

Take care.

Brian Laws>

Reply to
Brian Lawson