Not as young as I used to be

My nephew (younger syster's youngest son) drives 1 '93 Chevy Lumina, and the brakes on it were getting beyond dangerous, He's been out of work for quite some time, just started a new job a couple weeks ago and needs the car on the road, so Uncle Clare to the rescue . I ordered a full set of loaded calipers and rotors from Rock, and took the car out to the hangar this afternoon. About 7 hours later we are within about an hour of finishing the job (Nephew and I working together). The one rear rotor was seized onso tight it took over 2 hours with torch, puller, and BigBrassHammer to get the sucker off. One of the banjo bolts would not come loose so I cut it off with the die-grinder and cutoff wheel. The caliper frame mounting bolts had to be heated red hot to get them off. A couple sheel studs have damaged threeads, and wouldn't you know it, the studs won't come out without pulling the bearing/hub, so wh will be seeing how the "TheadMate" works

I'll be feeling this for a few days - Not as Young as I used to be!!!!!

Reply to
clare

Must be a lot of this going around. I'm in the same boat.

I'm to the point, if I ever wake up and nuthin' hurts, I'll know I'm in heaven.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Well, surpriaingly I don't feel all that bad this morning. I've hurt more on day's when I've done nothing to deserve it. But the day is still young. (at least something is!!)

Reply to
clare

His next car might be a Jap car, I've found them extremely easy to shotgun new parts into.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I lengthened a lightweight aluminum shovel by 18" to throw snow further from the roof, beyond the path around the house and the tall snowbanks beside it, and used it all yesterday afternoon. Now at least I'm sore in different places than when I was trying to lighten the roof load with a standard shovel.

As long as I don't overload it the lengthened shovel throws 10' to 15' further with no more effort.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Spent a large part of my working life working on Jap cars - Yotas in particular. Generally easier to work on than GM but when they get to be over 20 years old with little service they can be a bit nasty too. The quality of their fasteners tend to be a bit better than american stuff - less likely to have badly seized bolts. Definitely better design as far as being able to replace small parts without having to totally dissassemble the car.

He's a BIG boy, so more likely to be an old crown vic next time round (over 6'4,over 265, and solid as an oak.)

Reply to
clare

I hear that. Does anyone here, other than me, own stock in Ben Gay, Tiger Balm, and IcyHot? The little porch I did last week just about took me out. I'm still sore.

Heaven? Yeah, right. Me, too!

Reply to
Larry Jaques