OT- A-hole supervisor

Robin. Not being facetious, but do you personally get paid more or less per hour, depending on how fast you repair the die?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Directly, no.

Our shop doesn't repair dies for the most part. Only major smashes were entire surfaces are destroyed. The press shops take care of the vast majority of smaller issues.

In our company, virtually all the managers are toolmakers. Leadhands, supervisors, plant managers, AGM and GM. Course, we also have a couple hundred toolmakers on the floor as well.

This leads back to your question. Guys who are more competent do more challenging work, get paid more, and are promoted faster (or at all). This is true at my work, and at the shops to which we supply dies.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I don't get it. Go look at the job for 5 mins. and go on break then fix it. I use to hate mandatory breaks it just made the job take longer to recheck the set up after the break. No way was I turning on the machine until I was certain it was set up right. BSing for 15 mins. and trying to remember where you where sucks, I'd rather get it done and get off early.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

This is VERY rapidly becoming the exception. Management simply does not care how a job gets done

- just that it doesn't become an issue in their lap. It messes up their measureables totals & reduces the chances of getting their negotiated bonuses come year end.

Reply to
Stephen Young

Unless you have a friend in the oil fields with access to butyl mercaptan .

Gunner

Gunner

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Has anyone asked him if he is aware that he is scheduling work so that you are losing your breaks? It may be entirely unconscious on his part, or his boss may have a "thing" about breaks and lazy workers and **it is simply "running downhill."

If you have tried this, then as I continually remind my students, if you stay around crazy people long enough you wind up as crazy as they are.

Step back and look at the situation. To see where you appear to be with the facts presented read "Games People Play" by Berne see:

The two most likely games are "Now I've got you! You SOB," and "Try and get away with it." This is somewhat unusual in that both of you are about to start playing both games. N.B.: These are never win-win, and are usually lose-lose.

The fact that your supervisor appears to have been there for a while (and got promoted) indicates a sick organization rather than a sick individual. That being the case, the next one you get may even be worse.

GmcD

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Oooo ! That book looks like what I've been looking for.

I wrote off games as a policy long ago. About all I play is getting out of very dangerous situations and not pulling out alot of $ when trying to get something cheap. I went to about 13 schools in 18 and watching the games people play was disgusting. Anyhow, for some reason I've been more interested in the subject and haven't a clue to where to look.

Is there a technical name for it?

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Ditto, though I was a bit less PC. I just quietly found another job and took it -- twice. Both times, there was a sudden flurry of "oh, we can match your new job." I just said the other guy got there first and fair is fair.

During exit interviews with Dir of Eng, I told them exactly why I was leaving.

Both times, the jerk that drove me out was gone within 6 months.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Seems to me you should milk the system and yourself work less than the worst worker, until someone gets their head out and realizes the situation. Though that would probably result in your situation being "fixed".

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

I suppose if money were my only reason for working, I might feel that way. But, to me, doing it right and as efficiently as possible has always been not only a goal, but another reward of working.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Robin

I understand perfectly. I once was in a fab shop where there was one section of workers who never seemed to like me. For months and months I wondered what it was all about, how had I pissed off these guys. Then one day I made a concerted effort to try to get to know one of them better during a break. Finally he tells me that the lead was always asking them why they couldn't produce work as fast and as free of defects as I did. Well, I took that lead behind a partition and gave him a severe tongue lashing. Things were much better after that, those guys would at least smile and say hi. I didn't lower my own standards at all because I feel like you do, do the job right the first time. Too bad not everyone does the same. Those guys could do the work, but they were thinking "why should we?". It was a union shop, pay was not related to how well you did your work in the least.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Maybe management does not notice at some places, but most of the places I have worked, they do notice. With a Union Shop they may not be able to do much with the knowledge except when an opening occurs for a non union job.

In my opinion one reason not to shirk work is that you are there and so why not. It isn't as if shirking work really benefits you. Maybe for jobs that give you carpel tunnel syndrone, but for most jobs doing the work gives some benefit in keeping you fit and trim.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Reply to
John

====================== Berne [apparently] coined the name "Transactional Analysis."

Dr. Eric Berne (d. 1970) has a good reputation in the psych trade, and "Transactional Analysis" is widely used by HRD/ODD [Human Resource Development / Organizational Diagnosis & Development] practitioners.

FWIW, most HRD/ODD efforts are failures because the senior management don't want to change [why should they? Their getting rich and have their pictures on the cover of Fortune?]. Some individuals can "hit bottom," and be ready to accept change. When organizations "hit bottom" it is generally too late because they are in chapter 11.

For more information than you will most likely want see:

about 27,600 more "hits."

In many cases the best way to fight systemic organizational problems like this is with your hat -- You grab it and run.

GmcD

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Let the record show that "RogerN" wrote back on Fri, 20 May 2005 17:45:56 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I quit one job over pay, and found out after I gave notice, that the foreman had been real happy with my work. Things got done right, and he didn't have to worry about them. Too bad he didn't tell me.

The next place, the foreman was ... nuts. I mean, "When my cult has a bar-b-q, I'll make sure you have a front row seat." kinds of nuts. But he said "thank you." after setting you on a task. That alone was enough to make me a happy employee.

tschus pyotr

p.s. I decided on a Wednesday that Friday i would call in "sick" and leave the message "Tell Al the voices told me to stay home and clean the guns." I figured the Monday, either a) nothing would be said, b) he'd have quit, or c) I'd be let go. But we'll never know, as he got laid off that evening.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that "Robin S." wrote back on Fri, 20 May 2005 19:21:28 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Yeah, but it doesn't sound like this guy cares too much about that. If he's going to be an asshat, then I can work enough to not get fired. I mean, if it takes an hour to get a repair tech called over, then speed obviously is not of the essence. But I'd be looking for another job, either a different shift, or a different company.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I thought it was "...clean _all_ the guns, and that's gonna take a while...".

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, maybe.

I just worry when the little voices say, "Oh, heck, they're not that dirty, you can clean them after Tomorrow."

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich