OT: ABC News: magazines equal ammunition

"April 21, 2007 ABCNews has learned that in the months before his shooting spree at Virginia Tech, Seung-Hui Cho may have purchased 20 rounds of ammunition through the online auction site eBay.

"An eBay account holder who appears to be Cho purchased a two-pack of 10- round ammunition clips for a Walther P22 on March 22, 2007, less than a month before Cho killed 32 people and himself at Virginia Tech. The ammunition was purchased on eBay from Elk Ridge Shooting Supplies for the same type of weapon used by Cho in his bloody rampage last week.

"In addition to purchasing ammunition online, ..."

Richard J Kinch

ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Wow! I bought 500 rounds of Aguila SE subsonic today on the way back from NAMES. Uncle got hosed on a couple tins of CCI #11 Magnum percussion caps. 5.99 at Cabella's in Dundee. We stopped at Jay's in Claire where I picked up the Aguila and found that they didn't carry CCI #11 Magnum but standard #11 was 4.29 per hundred.

Now you have to ask why is a guy that plays with metal working buying subsonic ammo at 19 bucks per hundred while wally mart will sell you the faster stuff for 11 bucks per hundred. I expect the ATF to be kicking my door down in the next few hours. Honest, nothing illegal. Really. Yet. (Just a taunt ATF ;) )

Two 10 round approved by Bill Ruger, Sarah Brady, Bill Clinton, mags is of note. I thought it was the high caps that got the anti's shorts in a twist. What is Carolyn McCarthy going to think?

Cho proved my point that one gun a month is pointless. Banning high caps is pointless. If a bad guy shows up with 5 magazines each for 2 guns, nobody is going to have time to rush during reloads. Cho waited and planned a bit longer during the waiting period. Honed his attack. We might have been better off with less time for him to think.

You can swap out a mag with a round up the tube. Anyone brave will catch that one while you drop the mag / insert the new mag.

For the most part, someone with a plan to kill you will succeed. Keep that in mind every night when you drive home. One person wanting to end it all only has to drift over the centerline into your path. We deal with uncertainly all the time, don't get excited about things that have a low probability of affecting you.

My advice for tonight,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Our EYE WITLESS News Teams in action again.

MadDog

"I am unable to understand how a man of honor could take a newspaper in his hands without a shudder of disgust." - Charles Baudelaire

Reply to
MadDogR75

REPLY REDUX:

Seriously, I've worked all my life, and if I'd showed up for ONE meeting, as poorly prepared to do my job as this jamoke obviously was, I'd have been out of a job. Is there anything of quality about our news media except their hair- cuts????? MadDog

"God made and idiot for practice, then He made a school board." - (Mark Twain) Or a newsey - (MadDog)

Reply to
MadDogR75

Oh, that's rich, coming from you.

What, of 10 round magazines? Sure, look all you want.

They sell legal things - hell, even eBay hasn't banned what they sell. Oh, sure, now they will. (shrug) big deal. Auctionarms and gunbroker are so much better anyway.

Added to "favorite sellers", thanks for the pointer. Need to buy some stuff, might as well get it from them.

Really. It's disgusting that your type is gleeful in the deaths of 32 people. Just imagine if any of them had been allowed to exercise their CCW rights. But no, people like you in the school's administration wanted them to, you know, "feel good" and declared the school a gun-free zone. Seems that the homicidal maniac in question didn't obey that decree.

It's so sad that the moderator of rec.guns is on to you after only one post there. Almost like someone suggested that he check your history or something...

Face it, TMT, you don't get it, and you just want to waste peoples time with arguments. Your frequent nym-shifting is evidence enough of your trollish tendancies.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Not at all, too_many_trolls.

Hardly. I a pointing out that if people who think like you hadn't forced them to be disarmed, most or all of them might be alive today.

Adequate gun laws, absolutely. A good start in Virginia would have been to allow the concealed carrying of weapons laws, instituted by the state, to be used on campus. They weren't. HE WAS PERFECTLY SAFE TO KILL THEM.

censored? You wandered in there, tried to stir up some shit, and I suggested that the mod look at your posting history. It's obvious you have nothing to contribute to a rational conversation.

Probably in my killfile anyway (shrug).

I'm sure HLS means something.

If my child is killed in a shooting because someone like you prevented them from defending themselves, you mean? And I'm sure you didn't intend this, but with that wording, your last statement looks rather like a threat.

Why do you keep nym-shifting, by the way? Don't insult our intelligence and claim you don't, I can drag your identities out of my killfile if I have to. A jaded and cynical reader might think that maybe you're doing that to temporarily climb back out of killfiles. Maybe while you're doing that you could realize how pathetic that is.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What in the world are you talking about? Dave's posts have been quite clear that he mourns their deaths, and is particularly outraged that they *could* have been prevented.

Wrong, utterly wrong. The irresponsibility in this case belongs first and foremost to the guy who pulled the trigger. Next in line is the judge who ordered him to seek mental health treatment but never forwarded a copy of that order to the Virginia State Police (which would have caused it to show up on a background check, preventing him from buying his weapons legally). Right after the idiot judge come the school administrators who knew for a _year_and_a_half_ that Cho was deeply troubled and likely dangerous, yet did nothing about it.

Law-abiding gun owners bear *no* responsibility for Cho's crimes.

They won't be, if it makes people wake up and realize that laws regulating the possession of guns don't keep guns out of the hands of bad guys.

It has apparently escaped your notice that Virginia Tech was already, by law, a "gun-free" zone. *That* law worked real well, didn't it.

How, exactly, do you propose that additional laws will modify the behavior of those who do not obey laws to begin with?

Whatever proposal you might come up with, I suggest that you examine its potential usefulness by replacing the word "gun" with "cocaine", then see how well it's working now.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Nope, but it is a guaranteed sign of how USELESS it is to pass laws that will NEVER stop a nut case criminal. He LIED on the 4473 form, plain and simple. However you don't seem to understand that.

Fine turn in ALL of your guns. ALL, you get NOTHING. That is the ONLY law that the liberals want. NO private ownership of ANY firearm PERIOD. And your more than willing to help them.

Must be you help Democrats.

Reply to
Steve W.

Please explain exactly what's "wrong" with the claim that if Cho's victims had been armed, some or all of them might not have become victims.

Your reality check just bounced -- Cho did *not* buy his guns "under the current laws." He *broke* those laws, by lying on his Form 4473

Refer specifically to item 12 (f).

Nobody has proposed "arming kindergarten students." That is the product of your own fevered imagination, nothing more.

Obviously, his fellow students would have, too.

That wouldn't have lasted very long if his fellow students had had the means to defend themselves from such threats.

[snip]

Pardon me... but your paranoia is showing...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Your failure to respond to any of my points is duly noted...

Indeed. That's the strongest argument I can imagine for allowing individual citizens to possess the means to defend themselves.

Oh, bullshit.

Exhibit #1 -- thirty-two dead people.

Exactly *how* did that gun-free zone protect those thirty-two people?

Obviously it didn't prevent the deaths of the thirty-two people murdered by a psychotic criminal who brought two guns into a "gun-free" zone.

Nonsense. You claim the law making Virginia Tech a gun-free zone "worked". Thirty-two human beings were murdered by a psychotic criminal who disregarded that law.

The burden of proof is upon *you* to explain in what sense, exactly, that law "worked" in this case. Speculation on how many deaths "might" have occurred had the law not been in place is not allowed: the law *is* in place, and the deaths *did* occur, despite the law.

Explain how that law "worked".

I do too. Society would be much more polite.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Id pay good money to have Toofewbrains to put up a nice "This House is a Gun Free Zone" in his front yard.

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

And then (TMT), go down the street carrying a sign saying "I have no guns". And I get to pick the street and hour of the day. And then you can tell me how much safer that sign made you...or not.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

...and illegally...

Kindly stick to making your own statements, K? I specified "licenced CCW holders", not "kindergarten students". You do know what is required for a CCW license in Virginia, don't you? No? Why not? You sure seem to pretend to know a lot.

Um, no, you see, they would be on the staff or students he was trying to kill. And they probably wouldn't have just, you know, turned them over to him. You really live in a fantasy world.

How is responding vs. originating a thread relevant?

Oh, I suppose that's Homeland Security. The gratuitous "L" in the middle was completely unexpected. But my history is astonishingly unremarkable, sorry to dissapoint.

The only person my guns are threatening to are those intent on doing me harm.

You write so poorly, it's hard to tell.

Yawn.

You're the one who sees no problem at all with forcing them to be disarmed, and now they're dead. Empathy my ass - try logic once, just to see if you can.

Show where any of us have said that. I'm calling your bluff. If that's what you're actually reading in the comments, then that shows how horribly unable you are to understand basic language.

Absolutely! Fire and/or charge those who failed to get his mental problems into the record for starters. Then fire the college administrator who fought repeatedly to keep CCW holders from carrrying on campus. I hope that bastard has trouble sleeping.

You seem to confuse "Wow, this guy is a complete waste of time and totally uninteresting" with some sort of tribute. Imagine my surprise.

Suuuuure you are.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 19:21:53 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Richard J Kinch quickly quoth:

It's really too bad that stupidity isn't painful. Think of all the groans coming from the news media offices if it were. Hell, they didn't even know that eBay forbids anything resembling ammo or guns from their auctions. ANY fool knows that little tidbit of info.

-- I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

not true that ebay prohibits selling magazines and clips - they do prohibit items related to certain automatic weapons - I know that because I had an M-16 clip that they pulled the auction on - but I sold a few hundred clips of some kind (I"m not much of a gun guy) that went with a "garand" and there was no objection - apparently that isn't a banned gun. I also sold a box full of empty cartriges (they went for a little less than scrap value, so now I don't offer that kind of stuff) so you can sell parts to make ammo with and not have a problem (at least I didn't).

so, can we please have a discussion, not an insult fest

snip

Hell,

Reply to
Bill N

Get any 3006 brass, or 45acp brass..or .41 Magnum brass (DIBS!!!), post it here.