OT - air compressor

I have a home brew air compressor which uses an electric motor. It uses a pressure switch to stop the motor when the tank reaches full pressure.
I'd like to put a small gas motor on the compressor because the electric motor usually gets hot and shuts down.
How are gas motor air compressors controlled?
You cannot start and stop the gas motor, so, is there some sort of dump valve that opens when the tank reaches pressure?
I want to use a gas engine, but I don't want to rely on the overpressure valve for normal ops.
Thanks.

Your easy, 5 minute alternative is to put a bigger pulley on the motor.
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 03:28:28 GMT, Ignoramus6433

oops, I meant smaller.
I believe a smaller motor pulley would be required to reduce the load on the motor. Don Young

That would require more HP. A smaller pulley would be in order. A larger pulley on the compressor would work as well.
Harold
stone wrote:

You will need a pressure valve that will feed air to a throttle down valve to throttle down the gas motor. They ususally use an air cyilnder attached to the throttle. The second thing you will need is an unloader valve that dumps out the pressure in the cylinders so the gas motor can idle with no load. A series check valve in the output of the compressor and a dump valve on the line between the compressor and the check valve will accomplish this. The dump valve opens when the pressure is at max. and is operated by the pressure valve. Take a look at a factory built unit and see how they got it hooked up.
John
stone wrote:

You need an unloader valve for the gas set up . You can even get some that will idle down the motor . Luck Ken Cutt