OT: caulking how to?

Every time I get to caulking I run into the how to do it in a neat clean way.

While back I had to re-seal an aquarium. Used Silicon II, did the best job I could. Then I used the stick your finger in detergent and run it along the bead trick.

Worked OK. Sort of. But I had to clean up the bead afterwards and if you look carefully, it's still a messy job.

Now I have another job. This time there is somewhere between 500 and

1000 feet of bead to run.

So I'm looking for something a bit easier, faster neater.

But how?

I know it can be done. Some stuff, like aquariums, have such a neat bead that you would think they are done by some sort of machine.

Thanks for any help.

DOC

Something about robots...

doc

I run masking tape on both sides of the joint and use nitrile gloves with dish soap to smooth out the bead. Wipe any excess off your fingers as you go along. I saw a bead smoothing tool advertised on TV that would allow different sizes of beads on inside corners. Although I didn't buy one, it seemed like a good idea. The tape keeps the caulk from getting all over Hells' half acre. Pull the tape soon after tooling the joint Steve

Reply to
Up North

When SWMBO isn't looking, abscond with a silicone spatula:

You can cut it to form a square tool that gives you two radii that is neater to use than the finger.

And way cheaper than the one you see on tv:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

A neat bead of caulk depends upon a couple of factors, namely the joint of the materials, the desired width of the bead and the way the caulking tube is cut (size of opening and angle of cut).

Get some cheap tubes of latex and practice on various joints.. some with a slight gap to penetrate/fill, and vary the angle between the tube and the work for different practice joints. The practice joints can be the 90 degree angle of a couple of strips of wood or any number of different types of joints. Develop a technique where you can apply the caulk at a consistent angle between the gun and the joint, and maintaining a consistent pressure on the angled nozzle tip.

As you proceed along a joint, and as you get to an area where there is a gap to fill in addition to the corner bead, slow the advance slightly, and/or squeeze the trigger at a little faster rate to enable more caulk to be displaced at the locations where some caulk gets pushed out thru the back of the crack/gap. As the travel of the gun trigger nears the stop, slow the travel of the gun slightly then almost stop as you release the trigger to start a new stroke, kinda like the muscle force required to row a boat.

When the nozzle is cut at an angle, the radiused tip will leave the bead of caulk with the radius that a lot of folks try to accomplish with a fingertip. It's just a matter of trimming the right amount off of the tip of the nozzle, and at the right angle so caulk isn't gushed out along the side of the tip, leaving messy trails of caulk (parallel to the tip travel and the joint).

Starting practice beads on a tight corner fit of 2 surfaces, with a tip cut to leave a narrow bead will reveal a lot about the rate of feed/dispensing of caulk and the rate of travel (the movement of the caulking gun). When this practice joint dries (or skins over) a wider bead can be put in place over it, by trimming a little more off the nozzle at the same angle. This actually a good practice, instead of trying to make a wide bead in one pass.

A really messy application is where the caulk is being dispensed too fast compared to the rate of travel of the caulking gun.

The nozzle tip needs to be the correct size and angle so that the caulk is actually being pressed into the corner or joint (pressed like spreading putty with a putty knife, or body filler with a spreader), but in a narrow path with the radius of the tip controlling the shape of the bead (concave bead). Cutting the nozzle tip at different angles will allow a concave bead, or a nearly flat bead that fills a corner like a piece of corner molding would.

Most/all latex caulks (and many solvent types) will shrink regardless of what the label says. After gaining the technique of a neat looking bead, avoid applying a tiny bead when using latex or solvent caulk products because they will shrink, leaving nearly no adhesion surface area on the materials that form the joint.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Electric caulking gun

Buerste

If you push the caulking gun instead of pulling it, the tip acts as the bead forming tool. Variations in squeeze speed and travel speed are ironed out.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I was told a long time ago by a sheet metal contractor that if you don't tool the joint you can't expect it to seal. I have used my finger for that until recently.

I found a joint tool made of black rubber with a yellow handle that has worked well. It is about 6 in long. I am not sure where I bought it. It was cheap. Probably at WalMart, but possibly Lowes or Home Depot. If I can figure it out I will post where I got it.

For long joints you can hold it and the caulk gun in one hand and squeese the trigger with the other. This allows you to keep the right amount of caulk going. Too much oozes past the edges and just creates more work cleaning up.

-xenon

Reply to
xenon

I learned the trick from a pro: smooth with finger dunked in rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. Get it right the first time, DO NOT go back. Going back NEVER IMPROVES THE RESULT. Wipe finger on rag or paper towel after each wipe, rewet with alcohol, continue. If there's a bit of a berm beside the nice concave fillet, don't worry about it. Leave it the hell alone. Put on boxing gloves if you must, or have your partner handcuff you or get out of town until the stuff cures. The berms will strip off very cleanly and easily with a single-edged razor blade after the stuff has set up.

With just a bit of practice you won't get berms, just nice smooth concave fillets.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 09:56:31 -0800 (PST), the infamous snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca scrawled the following:

Doc, invest in a $1.39 caulking tool. I was absolutely amazed at how clean and well these things work from my first use; Just flabbergasted. Mine came from a little old lady client who asked if I wanted to use it on her bathtub. I did and it became a staple in my toolkit...along with a 50-cent roll of paper towels. Clean up every 3 feet or so, longer if you run a tight bead.

Homax Caulk 'n Finisher

-- At current market valuations (GM is worth less than Mattel) the Chinese government can afford to buy GM with petty cash. --Bertel Shmitt on kencan7 blogspot

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What were you doing in a little old lady's bathtub?

Reply to
Buerste

Amazon.com has a caulk finishing tool for $1.39. Unfortunately, it's probably $10 with shipping.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Buerste wrote: (...)

See for yourself. NSA footage of just one of those 'incidents':

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thanks for the laughs!

Reply to
Up North

It's a hooooorse.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:46:30 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Caulkin' her up a storm, Tawmykins.

-- At current market valuations (GM is worth less than Mattel) the Chinese government can afford to buy GM with petty cash. --Bertel Shmitt on kencan7 blogspot

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:50:45 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Ewwwwwwwwww, neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew! I've been found out!

(Check your email for another possibility...not.)

-- At current market valuations (GM is worth less than Mattel) the Chinese government can afford to buy GM with petty cash. --Bertel Shmitt on kencan7 blogspot

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Newlywed Larry and his beautiful blushing bride didn't know the difference between KY Jelly and caulk...all their windows fell out.

Reply to
Buerste

Larry Jaques wrote: (...)

Earthquakes. Gotta love'em.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

They dont tell They dont yell They dont swell And They are grateful as hell.

Reply to
Gunner