BS Universal

I just posted a picture to the dropbox,

I'm wondering if someone out there can confirm that it is a universal
table? And what size of machine this may be.
I will be going to look at it shortly, but looking for some informed
feedback before I do so.
Thanks
JW
Reply to
jw
Sure looks like an universal from the picture. Estimating size, bigger than a common bridgeport. The work light's light bulb sorta makes me think the table is 15" wide or wider. Go for it, it will fit in the garage if you want it to bad enough.
Wes
Looks like a universal #3 to me.....
Reply to
Gene
It looks like a universal to me.
I don't know the sizes, but it does look like a hefty machine to move. I suspect heavier than a Bridgeport Series I machine, maybe even the CNC version with all the copper and iron in the transformers.
Good Luck, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
That mill is a B&S #2 Light 3HP Circa 1948 - 1956. Go to
and sign in for information on B&S
jw wrote:
Reply to
rpisquared
Thanks. So from what I have learned so far it probably weighs around 4000#. But seems to be quite well respected in certain circles. It supposedly has the vertical head as well. Find out in a few days.
Ballpark a market price? (I realize that is a pretty wide open question, but humor me)
JW
Reply to
jw
Looks like a #2 universal w/40 taper. These are quiet, solid, strong and the table clamps very well. I can't remember if they had anti-backlash for climb milling.
I don't see the overarm support or any arbors.
The only issue with these is if you breathe on the starter handle (top) some of them will engage (surprise), real hare trigger.
Matt
Reply to
matthew maguire
I would say around $500. Unless it has most of the accessories, over $1000 would be high. I paid $200 for mine, but that was a special deal in 2003. Once you buy the mill, you have to move it. I took mine apart, and rented a "Drop Lift" trailer to move it, and to get it into my basement shop.
By watching eBay, I have almost acquired all the accessories since then.
Reply to
rpisquared
Moving it is not an issue.
I am not sure what it has for accessories yet. It does have the vertical head, or so they say.
Thanks
JW
Reply to
jw
If its a #2...should be useful in the home shop. And movable
Gunner
Reply to
Gunner
sign in for
$500-1500 depending on tooling/condition.
Reply to
Gunner