Strange Vise

I have a strange vise. Its been hanging around for a while and I never delt with it, except to move it twice while waiting to setup a real shop.

Having offered it up to someone I started taking a closer look and noticed an oddity. It won't close past 2" open.

Seems like it wants too then it pops back.

I took it apart and looked the threaded rod has a spring over it which won't allow it (I think the nut may be worn down a bit too, haven't had a chance to check that).

Pics n info here:

Any Ideas why the spring might be there?

Reply to
marc.britten

Remove it. Someone wanted to confuse the next owner.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I have a very similar Charles Parker Vise, mine does not have decorative scallop at the rear, I think mine was made around WWII. It does not have an internal spring of any sort. I've been using it for

40 years and it still works great. Perhaps the Acme thread was worn, and this was some sort of makeshift mod, or somebody modified it for clamping a particular job.
Reply to
oldjag