OT: CD versus DVD durability?

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Chris > I think I'll put them in one of those ammo cans with a Chris > rubber seal.
I figured that erring on the side of lower humidity would likely result in longer media life than erring on the side of higher humidity.
Perhaps I've been staring at the algae on my 'kiln dried' lumber for too long. :)
--Winston
Winston wrote:

I doubt there is a humidity problem lurking in the can.
Mold, on the other hand...
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
CaveLamb wrote:

Same coin, other side. :)
US EPA says mold control is easier if we can keep RH (ideally) between 30% and 50%
http://www.epa.gov/mold/preventionandcontrol.html
Taiyo Yuden tests at 23 C and 50% RH.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

You're probably right. Maybe I'll get some of that colour-change gel so I can see when it's getting damp.
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

As long as the ammo can isn't sitting in the window baking the contents... :)
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

The problem is that they are increasingly unreliable. If you go to Newegg.com, they have customer reviews on a lot of 1 TB hard drives. ALL of the major brands with statistically significant numbers of reviews have ~ 10% to 15% "one star" ratings, invariably from people who had them die on them. I won't use a high capacity drive by itself for anything. At a minimum, I use them in a mirrored RAID system.
Doug White

That's why I store my backups on two or three drives, sort of a manual RAID though the backup scheme varies with the type and importance of the file, trading ease of backup against ease of recovery. Primary backups may be sorted, secondary ones are bulk whole-disk or folder copies into a folder named with the source and date, and deleted when outdated.
If I have to restore I'll start with a disk copy and add in later files from smaller, more recent folder backups. This makes frequent backup simple, hopefully rare restore more tedious. Displaying a folder directory sorted by date helps a lot.
jsw

Did you notice the attitude of many of the bad reviews, like they forgot to take their Ritalin?
Replace keyboard actuator and try again, or as we repairmen wrote for Teletype complaints "Performed operator headspace adjustment".
jsw

Disks are an illusion. What the IT guys use is tape.
Joe Gwinn

I paid $94 for a WD 2T Elements during the Christmas sales. The Elements doesn't have the messy Backup Software for Dummies that's on the MyBook. Western Digital's drive test and backup tools: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3&lang=en
S.M.A.R.T shows a count of reallocated spare sectors that replaced bad ones, a number worth watching. Otherwise it isn't too useful for predicting failures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T .
jsw

Site Timeline