OT - Cheap Auto OBD

Saw the other thread this morning and thought some of you would be interested. The on 2007 Pathfinder had an service engine light which turned out to be the old gas cap. Dealer checked for free. While googling around on the internet, found that this model has a tranny cooler built into the radiator, which breaks down usually after the

80000 mile extended warranty, and then the only fix is to replace both the radiator and tranny. Hers had a factory external cooler as well, so had the transmission shop bypass the one in the radiator. All's good.

While doing all this, I priced OBDII monitors, and they were several hundred bucks to a lot more, as I'd always seen. But now you can get a small bluetooth unit which can be paired with your phone running a reader program. $18 for the unit, free to $5 for the program. I splurged for the $5 "Pro" one (Torque). The thing works great. So far it works on every OBDII port I've tried it on. More info than I know what to do with.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Got a link for the new reader???

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I got one on ebay for like $12 shipped. They're down to about $9 now.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes, that's a neat device, BUT... It works on every car I've tried it with except for my 2000 Chevy Malibu - not exactly an exotic car. The OBDII dong le simply won't sync with the car. I do have another device that connects t o the serial port on a laptop that works fine with that car.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Go on ebay and search for ELM327 . There are currently several "Buy it Now" items for $9.19 including shipping from Singapore.

That shipping has got to cost them a couple of bucks, ebay charges something, paypal charges something, how the hell do these people make money?

Reply to
rangerssuck

Gunner, you can find lots of them on Amazon. I got the V-gate one. Be sure it matches your cell phone, Android, i-phone, or windows.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Thanks! I just found the USB one and the wifi one, still havent found the Bluetooth one..but Ill look on Amazon. I was browsing on ebay.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch