OT computer Q

Mama's computer screen (Acer P191W 19" LCD) is sick ... screen is dim and flickery. It's been going dark on us lately when waking it up , turn power off then a few seconds later power on has brought it back - until today . I have the unit apart , checking the power board for bad caps since that's listed as a primary cause of monitor problems - found 2 bulged tops , none leaking . I'll be visitin' the local RS for replacements , and hoping that's all it needs . Anybody out there have experience with repairing these ? Would I be better off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a small CRT monitor on it for now so the g-kids can still play their games , but it sure ain't optimum ...

Reply to
Snag

Just replace the visibly bad caps, and you're 90% sure to be good to go. No test equipment needed other than your eyeballs. And, in general, the caps only have to be close in value (but do not go lower in voltage rating). I've fixed loads of these - very few have anything wrong other than bad caps in the backlight supply.

If you have a good supply of caps, it's a good idea to replace all the similar ones, not just those that are already bulging. The rest are likely to follow soon.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Symptoms are consistent with a dying backlight. Does it have a pinkish cast to it?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I usually smash the caps and then jiggle / wiggle / pull leaving the leads still soldered to the board instead of clipping or de-soldering.

Then I mount the new caps a few inches away wherever is convenient using silicone and use hookup wire to make the actual electrical connection.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

You want low ESR replacements. Panasonic FM series is what I use for repairs, since they are considered some of the best made. I buy them from Digikey. Beware of repair shop grade parts if you don't want a quick failure, or to have them explode inside the computer. Radio Shack is the last place to buy what you need for this repair.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That isn't a good idea for switchmode power supplies. The long leads add inductance, which reduces the filtering, but it's your equipment.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I like the 22" HDTV that serves as the monitor on the other PC. It will display two full pages of a .PDF file large enough to read, and of course play TV. Does the computer have a DVI or HDMI output?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've fixed about a dozen of them - not all the same model, but most of them Acer. Getting the right caps is a job. Many are 1/8" or so too long.

Reply to
clare

If the caps are swelled the chances are better than 90% it's the caps.

Reply to
clare

Not the best way of doing it - particularly on a rather dense board that needs to fit in a fairly tight fitting RFI shield box.

Reply to
clare

Thanks to all , I'll be looking up those caps at digikey or mouser . I figger I should just go ahead and replace 'em all while I'm in there . There's a guy selling "kits" on eBay , but his photo doesn't look like my power board . Before I order from someone like him I'll get the values of all the electrolytics on the board .

Reply to
Snag

Higher voltage or slighly higher value caps won't hurt - and higher temperature rating is a deffinite advantage. Don't go lower in temp rating or voltage.

Reply to
clare

You might have to find an industrial supplier, to get the size and configuration and ratings all correct. Diameter, height, surface-mount or radial with correct spacing, voltage, capacity, ESR rating are ALL potentially important, and digikey.com or mouser.com are the only outfits that have enough catalog pages to really fill the need.

I like RS, I really do. But, not for this.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Aug 26, 8:57=A0pm, "Snag" wrote: Would I be better

Check the thrift stores. Around here the smaller lcd displays are about $15 to $25 in the thrift stores.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Excellent idea ! Thanks .

Reply to
Snag

Since you suggested yard sales I assumed you didn't have thrift or used computer stores nearby. A store is more likely able to demonstrate that it works and give you a short period to return it, or help if you have problems. Except for the HDTV and a few internal components all my computer equipment was second-hand.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You can get all the caps you will need from the folks there. They also sell kits for the common failure items as well. Bad caps are VERY common, there were some bad ones out of China and Japan for a couple years.

Reply to
Steve W.

The manual for my 2002 Hitachi monitor says that the power supply caps have an expected life of five years.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That's what the Japanese engineers I worked with used as their standard- even for industrial gear. Normally there are only a couple of parts that actually wear out like that - PSU capacitors and electromechanical relays. Electrolytic caps used elsewhere tend to last for decades (less stress- self heating and typically hot environment, and generally the circuits are less intolerant to decreased capacitance).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I get a lot of stuff at two local pawn shops too . Mostly tools ... guess I need to check them for monitors too ! I found a place that sells cap kits , they showed a different power board for my model . Also said send us pics and cap count/specs if we don't show yours , they'll do mine for half price if it's new to their database . So I did !

Reply to
Snag