OT: Database application

I want a simple application to log incoming shipments. I built a database in Access with fields including: Date, supplier, PO#, product, qty, text
notes and a few more. Years ago, I could have built an application out of dBase II or FoxPro in a few minutes and anybody could have logged in a shipment. Access is to complicated for my people and I'm not very familiar with it. Any suggestions?
Tom Gardner wrote:

Build a 'form' for them to use.
http://databases.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/forms.htm
--Winston
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:53:18 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Alpha Five. I've been using it to reproduce and improve a bill of materials/purchasing app I built in a DOS database many years ago. I got more done in the first day with Alpha Five than I did fighting with Access for a week. Until you get into some pretty advanced stuff you don't need to write any code. And even when there isn't a wizard to do the coding you need, you can often find something close enough that you at least have an example to follow.
Don't pay full price, they run specials often for around $100 for the base version.
http://www.alphasoftware.com /
--
Ned Simmons

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:36:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned

I still fire up Alpha4 occasionally. The old apps sure run like screaming banshees on the fast machines of today, don't they?
I'll have to check out A5v8!
-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:40:18 -0800, Larry Jaques

I wrote my original BoM program in A4, but had to give it up when I started running NT3.5. I don't recall exactly what the problem was, but it was several years before Alpha released a version that played nice with NT/2K/XP. When I decided to resurrect the app, I struggled with the choice between buying the new windows-compatible A4 and rewriting it for A5. There were enough changes I wanted to make that I finally decided a rewrite was the way to go.
There may be some commercial potential for the program. There's only one other comparable product that I'm aware of: http://www.trilogydesign.com and while it's very good functionally, the interface is terrible, IMO.
--
Ned Simmons

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:56:24 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned

Yeah, changing to the newest (or just newer) technology is, most often, the only way to go.

G'luck with selling your program. Are you thinking shareware or full commercial development on it? Did Trilogy use something like Delphi to design their program?
-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 04:50:47 -0800, Larry Jaques

Probably something closer to shareware. I'm thinking a free version with a limited number of records, but enough to do a couple fair-sized commercial projects and enough to make it useful to casual users. A fee to unlock the limit once the program has proven its worth. If I ever get that far, I'll offer up a beta here on RCM.
I'm not sure how Trilogy developed P&V. The tables are Access .mdb files, but I don't think P&V itself is an Access runtime.
--
Ned Simmons

Blech. I tried learning access as a programing language years ago and gave up in disgust. Even after you get your program working then you got to pay for a per seat license for Access. Back in the old days I used Clipper and there wasn't any extra per seat costs since it compiled to an executable.
Wes
Clipper Head since Summer 87 version

foxpro.
There's few things out there as badass as foxpro for making an intant-program that works.
Even with all this internet and web shit, I still can't think of anthing faster and easier than foxpro for simple tasks.
Not to get off Tom's problem but I am looking for a suitable database too. For about 3 years now I've been working on a project where I've been collecting info on solving computer problems.My sources are Kim Kommando, Fred Langa, TSGL, RCM and several computer magazines. I have 875 entry's. I"ve entered my data into a M/S Works database using fields called: problem,-description,-solution 1,-solution 2,-solution 3,-more info. It has proven to be a mistake because I can only search for one or 2 words at a time using clumsy filters. I don't like getting into querys and reports because I don't understand them that well. I would like to type in something like "how to do a repair installation of windows XP" and have it go right to the entry rather than coming up with every mention of XP or repair. I've tried Google desktop and M/S desktop and wasn't happy with the results. I've seen databases that might have done the job but each item would have to be entered separately. I would like to have a program that I can feed my data into in comma delimited or space delimited .doc or .html form and have it searched. Any inexpensive ideas? Engineman

<snip>
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:14:54 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

You know that for that sort of application I'd see what the modern day incarnation of ISYS is. it is a text search engine written by a group of computer wizards out of Frenches Forest In Sydney Australia. you just assemble a directory of scanned, ocr'd files and point it to the directory. it assembles the indexing.
you enter the words you want and it comes back with a listing. 73 hits in that document 21 in this document 4 in this document and so on.
...actually I found it for you. Just google for "ISYS Search" there is a free trial version.
I used it in a previous job for searching council minutes. it works well.it uses a mathematically proven optimum technique. Stealth Pilot

Great topic. I was involved in a huge Access '97 development for a mail order company. It was supposed to be a quick "stepping stone" just to get our data out of an antique old DOS app, and organized for something better. Unfortunately, we have built too many radical functions over the years for some very specific needs. Access can be configured to do things you may never have imagined possible, and configured as such to fit exactly the way you want things to happen in the company.
However, we have concluded that we must get out of the Microsoft stranglehold within 3 years. Their constant push to make you spend more money is too hard on small business (or rather, the company would rather give the employees more rather than Mr. Gates)
Access "upgrades" to subsequent versions are NOT easy, and MS's direction with Vista ? Ugh. We want something with html forms so the bulk of the workstations can run ANY Operating system, probably something as simple as Ubuntu. The "backend" or data is easy enough to convert to mySql, but thefront ends and all the calculations done in them are the problem. No one seems to make anything easy to convert Access Front ends (forms) into html, so I think were are in for another expensive lesson as to why you should just stay away from MS.
So, keep that in mind. Find something with an HTML front end and a common database backend right from the begining so you do not have to keep throwing money out the window. What that is, I do not yet know. I will be searching soon.
grummy
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote in
Have you looked at Open Office Base? After I read this thread, I started playing around with it, it's pretty decent.
--
Anthony

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 00:53:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

Y'know, I downloaded and have been using OpenOffice for a year now and forgot that it had a DBMS in it. <blush> I love the rest of the package so far, and really adore the price and not having to give M$ any more money.
First Look Critique: Damn, it's just like Access. Blech! That's probably why I forgot it was there. Nexxxxxxxxt!
-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

I have poked around with it, but I dont think it is yet mature enough to come close to Access.
Frankly, When a person wants something "simple", I dont think Access can be beat, yet anyhow. My problem with Access is not its limitation is what I can make it do. We have a legit ERP built out of it, but at great expense.
The problem is the knucklehead company behind it. They continuously change it, add new crap you did not need while ignoring the existing bugs and broken functions, and in doing so, flat out break what did work fine. This means that you can not simply "upgrade" because they are so stupid, they actually made changes to code and script useage. So, you end up with stuff that does not work even after a "successful" upgrade..
This costs a bunch of money, and you really are held hostage because they pull crap like pulling OS's from the market as they did initially with Vista (they forced most resellers to NOT offer any more XP machines - they have changed that slightly with the failure of Vista's initial release).
Nope. NEXT move is to GET OUT of anything that ties you to Microsoft.......
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote in

That and the constant price increases/licensing fees/Connection licenses, and license management costs, etc. My company is taking a _very_ serious look at both linux and Open Office. It would save the company a few million dollars a year.
--
Anthony

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 02:10:16 GMT, Anthony

-===============click here to download a free distro. http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy / http://www.ubuntu.com /
You will need to burn a cd from the iso format to boot/install with and possibly change the boot sequence in your rom/bios to boot off the CD first.
Note that there are two versions. A "desktop" for normal use and a "server" package for servers. v7.10 [indicating an October, 2007 release] "gutsy gibbon" is the latest.
If you want a dual boot system, i.e. both windows and linux/ubuntu on the same computer, be sure and install windows *FIRST*.
FWIW there is a free 2d cad program that saves files in a dxf format that looks pretty good. easy download/install when your get Ubuntu up. see QCAD v2.0.5.0 at http://ribbonsoft.com /
Also if you are running the mozilla/firefox browser, while you will need to install the linux version, you can import all your settings, and bookmarks using the FEBE/CLEO add-ins. You will have to install these in both the windows and linux browsers, but everything comes across with no problems. [click on the tools options then add-ons, then extension in the upper left and then "get extensions" in the lower right.
When I updated from w95 to w98 my laser printer stopped working and I had to get another one, and when I went from w98 to w2k my scanner stopped working and I had to get another one. I installed Ubuntu on an older box that I had, and both the old printer and the old scanner are again functional. I wonder how much of the taxpayers' money the federal, state and local governmental units are p*****g off replacing perfectly good peripherals that stop working with an o/s update?
I am appalled that our local school district and community college, which are always short of funds, continue to "invest" in M/S products, even with "academic" pricing.
Please let us know if your company makes this conversion and how it goes.

My bet is open office will be the first to be rolled out, as it's mostly a seamless change. I already have evaluation copies on the laptop that I use for programming and my desktop at work. I've been using it here at home for quite some time.
--
Anthony

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:27:18 GMT, Anthony

===========Most likely you are aware of this, but Open Office has their suite available for both Windows and Linux. This could be an easy way to "edge" over into linux.
For people that may be interested click on http://www.openoffice.org/ {general info/background} and to download click on http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/instructions.html [be sure to get the version for your operating system Mac/Linux/Windows]
About the only drawbacks I have found with Open Office are that the word processor does not work with word templates, and the spreadsheet sometimes has problems with excel macros. Excel VBA add-ins such as winstat don't work.