OT disgusted with all presidential candidates

This is just Ohio:

"Although there are no federal numbers on where employed SNAP participants work, the state of Ohio, where Ballam lives, does keep a list of the top 50 companies with the most workers and their family

supermarket, Dollar General. At the very top is Walmart, which had an average of more than 14,500 workers and family members on food stamps last year.* If you take into account the average size of a family on food stamps, as many as 7,000 individual Walmart employees were on

across Ohio.

"That means the same company that brings in the most food stamp

the most employees using food stamps.

It's a company store, financed by taxpayers. They're smart dudes!

Reply to
Ed Huntress

17% corporate; 24% overall for company-owned plus franchised stores. It's the 24% that you're thinking about. Technically, that's on sales, not costs, but since their profit is only around 3.5% of sales, it's almost the same number.

You'll have to check with Bangladesh.

You'll have to look that one up.

Airlines are not a good example. Their costs vary all over the map. Subsidized ones, like your example, are complex to unravel, because subsidies can be hidden all over the place.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Do the math. For any amount of dirty material, you need many times that amount for shielding. Shielding is needed so that the people transporting it, and the pilot, would not die, and also to hide the material.

And a "cessna", which is difficult to procure, would not carry that much weight.

All that talk about dirty bombs is mostly like that, not realistic.

Right.

Ignoramus7853

Is this meant to be a garden variety insult, or do you really believe that he has dementia?

Ignoramus7853

"Doses greater than 6 Gy to the whole body are generally not treatable and usually lead to death within two days to two weeks, depending on the dose and duration of the exposure."

"After the first round of signs and symptoms, a person with radiation sickness may have a brief period with no apparent illness, followed by the onset of new, more serious symptoms."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Everyone who serves in the Army, at least.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

But, my point is/was that although labour may only be 10% of the cost of manufactured goods, it is radically different in other businesses. My wife's girlfriend started a "shirt factory" that essentially sewed pre-cut pieces of cloth together to make a shirt. 25 second hand sewing machines was the initial investment and then the salaries of the 25 girls that did the work, which was, on a shirt by shirt basis a variable. She later changed that to a fixed cost by putting the sewing girls" on a fixed rate of so much a finished shirt. (which the girls seemed to prefer also).

In addition the first cost item that companies always seem to look at in a financial or business downturn seem to be "Labour".

I might add, that I was the company "hatchet man" on my last position. When there was a downturn in the oil business and contract weren't being issued, I got called in and told to "look at costs".

Now, I freely admit to being something of a "rabble rouser" and I used to start my list of excessive costs with the daily DHL delivery from our Singapore office to the home office in Jakarta. No longer needed for project support but still bringing the copies of the British "Football News" that our Controller read and the Christies catalogs that one of the owners enjoyed. Oh yes, and the first class air tickets used by senior management on the 50 minute flights to Singapore, and of course the air freight back for the goodies that they bought there - one of the owners used to buy breakfast cereal in Singapore and have the company ship it to Jakarta as it was "cheaper in Singapore".

Strange as it might seem these items were generally overlooked and the fact that we "have four office boys" was usually the first item that was discussed - for a two story office with probably 50 employees. "Do we Really need that many?" :-)

Reply to
John B.

If the amount of dirty bomb material is such that it does not kill the courier in minutes, it is not enough to cause significant contamination and to kill other persons.

Ignoramus7853

That is very much a variable. How much of the radioactive matter is there, what is the distance, is there any protective matter between the radioactive matter and the person? As a rule, if you double the distance, you reduce the exposure by a factor of four, for example.

In the Chernobyl disaster, for example, there were 41 people whose deaths are directly attributable to the disaster, "32 died within a few months of Acute Radiation Syndrome (ARS)".

Reply to
John B.

Well. you know Obammy is a hot-button for me. What he's done to everything from foreign relations to race relations is just evil, HE IS PURE EVIL!. I don't understand how he can be defended.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You haven't a clue.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A lethal dose of the radiation will not kill in minutes, it takes up to

48 hours:

Low level contamination would be the main problem. While not immediately fatal, the contaminated are would have to be evacuated and cleaned. Imagine how much fun it would be to move out the entire population of New York City or Los Angeles RIGHT NOW, and then take how many months to collect the contamination. Meanwhile, there is no normal activity for anyone in the city, everything stops, and refugee centers have to be set facilities would have to be set up for millions of people.

You don't have to kill a lot of people to make a city uninhabitable for a long time.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Perhaps for gamma or neutron sources with short half-lives, and thus high intensity. The lethal effects of radiation took long enough to appear that Radium was briefly used as medicine in the 1920's.

The longer the half-life, the less radiation emitted during a person's lifetime. The nasty ones have half lives in the days to months and are chemically very similar to elements the body absorbs and uses, like Calcium.

"4. A civil defense instrument (CD V-700) cannot detect the presence of radioactive materials that produce alpha radiation unless the radioactive materials also produce beta and/or gamma radiation."

That's because alpha doesn't penetrate the diaphragm that seals the evacuated ionization chamber, and wouldn't even if it could be made of tissue paper. The first US personnel in Hiroshima didn't know that and overexposed themselves to contamination they assumed their Geiger counters would detect.

Inhaled or ingested dust particles that emit alpha particles cause severe localized tissue damage.

I got to talking with the Health Physics Officer of a nuclear power plant at a party, and we were both surprised and alarmed to find that I knew more about radiation than he did, due to my Chemistry degree and some government research I did with isotopes. The next time I saw him he proved to me that he had been studying hard.

Your conclusion is probably correct though, a dirty bomb's main value is to scare the uneducated.

-dj5uC

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It's the simplest explanation.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There are alpha probes for CDV-700 available.

I have a CDV-700 and love it dearly for its ease of use and sensitivity.

OK, I am glad that we agree on this.

The logistics of a "dirty bomb" attack are very cumbersome and the result is, literally, a fizzle.

Ignoramus7223

Gee, we never would have guessed...

Well, I'm not going to try, but suffice to say that what he's tried in foreign relations didn't work out, but there's little question that it's a portent for diplomacy in the distant future. As for race relations, the only problem he's caused, that I can see, is that he's opened up some boxes that white folks would prefer to leave closed.

And then, if you've noticed, he's black. That rubs an awful lot of people the wrong way, even if they think they're not racists. It's another box many would have preferred to leave closed. They prefer to just let Fox News reporters wring their hands about it on TV, and keep it as far away from them as possible.

I'd like to see some of those people spend time in my town. I was eating a hot dog at Costco last night while my wife had a slice of pizza. The couple to the left of us was Chinese; diagonally across was a Korean family; an hispanic family was to our right; and every other table but one was populated with Asian Indians.

So there were two tables full of white Anglos out of maybe 15 tables. Think of it as a nativist's worst nightmare. And most of them probably are Democrats. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"Fizzle" has a specific meaning in nuclear weaponry:

Tom Clancy mentioned one failure mechanism in "The Sum of All Fears".

-yqex4

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I was up at Saranac Lake and to get home I took the bus. I should have ta ken Amtrak, but could not get my sisters tablet to find a workable schedule .

Anyway most of the passengers are not White Anglos. From Saranac Lake to Albany , the bus was half full and I had two seats to myself. From Albany to NYC , the bus was nearly full and I picked a seat next to a young black. We talked the whole time. It turned out he was going to Paul Smith Colle ge on some type of scholarship program and planned to go into physical ther apy.

I do not think I would have any problem with staying in your town for a lit tle while. Long term it is way too crowded.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I don't think that most of us are the kind of nativists I'm talking about. But a lot of people are. We see evidence of it here in some of the cross-posting copypasta from the knuckle-draggers.

Meantime, if you have time or circumstances that let you get to know these people, one tends to wind up with attitudes more like yours.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On 6/9/2015 11:12 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:il, HE IS

See, it's hard for me to see racism, I've never really been exposed to it personally. I do believe that people use the buzz words and point fingers when it's politically advantageous. Obama has taken every opportunity to divide people by race, class and gender. Obama is in the same category as Sharpton and Jackson...race baiters, whom I despise equally. Do you want examples? I'm sure you are familiar with many.

I had a hot dog at Costco's once...I was gastrically challenged for the rest of the day.

Reply to
Tom Gardner