OT Electrical Distribution Question

I have noticed a white wire wrapped around main power distribution wires and wondered what they are for. To be a bit more descriptive, I
see these on a larger distribution set of lines, maybe a 30KV line. There are 4 or 5, ~10 ft lengths wound around the main wire between each set of poles. The wound wire is on each conductor spaced equally. Does my description make sense? Are these spacers to reduce arcing in strong winds?
Thanks,
Bob

they are not wires but formed pieces of pvc used to damp vibrations in the wire
Thank you Travis.
Bob
Travis Thompson wrote:

Now that I've learned that, what are the metallic looking spheres I sometimes see on those wires? It looks like a round beads strung on the wire.
Thanks,
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Probably corona supression.
Tim
-- "I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!" - Homer Simpson Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
So if I wear one I won't burp so much?
<G> Texas Parts Guy
Texas Parts Guy

So if I wear one I won't burp so much?
No you won't see so good. Like blurred vision.
Bob AZ
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

They are visual warning devices to alert aircraft (helicopters) that the wire is there. The ad for them features the phrase "Your balls saved my life".
Kevin Gallimore