Geometry question

I'm trying to figure how to lay out a sheet of metal that I'm going to roll into a cylinder and then weld a bent piece of metal to one end.

Imagine you were to put a metal chimey right through the peak of a roof and were building the flashing. I'm not going to specify diameter or pitch since I'm looking for a general method.

Thanks,

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Similar to the "How can I make a pattern to cut a metal pipe at 45 degrees?" thread answer by Randy Zimmerman.

Surface development using descriptive geometry...

Reply to
Rick

wrote: (clip) I'm not going to specify diameter or pitch since I'm looking for a general method. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The general method is to make a working drawing. In the view showing the end of the round pipe, put in equally spaced radii. Project these into a side view, where you can see their length. Transfer each of these lengths, properly spaced onto a view of the "unrolled" pipe, and you will have a "development" of the piece you are looking for. It's a standard drafting procedure.

The method is general enough that the part the pipe fits to does not have to be a certain shape. It can be another pipe, any size, at some angle if you want, or even a sketched-in shape.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Divide the problem into two problems. How to lay out a cylinder that goes through the roof on one side of the peak. And how to do the same on the other side.

Dan snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
dcaster

The class in engineering school that I most hated was called "descriptive geometry".

Part of that course was learning how to graphically construct flat layout drawings of 3-dimensional objects, precisely what you are trying to do.

The required tools here a a texbook on "descriptive geometry" and a roll of grid paper, plus the time to read a chapter or two in the book. The methods are entirely graphical, and require no math.

Damn, how I hated that course. :-) Still, every 10 years or so I find something that I was taught in the course to be useful.

Harry C.

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
hhc314

Evidently Leo took descriptive geometry too! :-)

Worse still, since he remembers the correct terminology, he likely teaches a course in the 'dreaded' descriptive geometry. :-)

Were I you, I'd pay very careful attention to anything the Leo tells you.

Harry C.

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Reply to
hhc314

For extra credit develop the end caps...

I'm sure the AutoCad weenies will demand equal time :)

Reply to
Rick

The hole through a flat piece of flashing or one creased at an equal angle on both sides across the center of the pipe will be an ellipse with a simi-minor axis (r) of the pipe diameter and a simi-major axis of r/Cos(intercept angle).

If the angles are unequal you have to solve for both angles and lay it out as two half ellipses.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

thread answer

Thank you Rick. I can use the example you gave and life should be fine. Descriptive geometry was one of those classes I wanted to take but at the time I drifted off to the world of computers.

Here is my first attempt to draw it:

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Twenty years ago, I'd have done that with out asking anyone. When I saw Rick's link I was somewhat chagrined to find how much I have forgotten from when I took drafting.

Once I could 'see' the problem it wasn't too hard to make a spreadsheet to do the calculations either.

Thanks to all that replied to my question,

Wes S

Reply to
clutch