OT eye glasses at least it is not political

I need some new glasses, so I went to Zenni............However

I want bifocals with a polycarbonate lens. And Zenni does not do bifocals in Polycarbonate. And they say their polycarbonate lens are not OSHA appro ved. I tried to get what material they use so I could look up the specs. b ut I couldn't get that info from them.

So does anyone know of a good place to get bifocals in a material that is O SHA approved? Or at least material that comes close to being OSHA approved .

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I want bifocals with a polycarbonate lens. And Zenni does not do bifocals in Polycarbonate. And they say their polycarbonate lens are not OSHA approved. I tried to get what material they use so I could look up the specs. but I couldn't get that info from them.

So does anyone know of a good place to get bifocals in a material that is OSHA approved? Or at least material that comes close to being OSHA approved.

Dan

AFAIK the rating depends on thickness, not material.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I got my last pair of safety glasses here:

Rx-Safety.com

Not as cheap as Zenni, but they are safety glasses.

Reply to
brian

Reply to
dcaster

Why OSHA approved in the first place ???

I wear Poly in my glasses - they are continuous curve So I have better than BI focus I have many focus. Handy when looking down and it is still far or when you need more for close up you just move the glasses and into a new mag lens area.

Poly are safety glasses - I can't believe OSHA doesn't - but likely because no side protection... wear safety over them and you get double protection. Just in case you break or crack the outter pair you have the normal ones as backup without being glass in the eye.

I got mine when I was walking out onto the engineering floor to check on my designs and trimming of wire mostly (uses surface mount parts) might fly my way. That place was under safety control - water dump for chems and boots, smocks and even head covers.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

s in Polycarbonate. And they say their polycarbonate lens are not OSHA app roved. I tried to get what material they use so I could look up the specs. but I couldn't get that info from them.

OSHA approved? Or at least material that comes close to being OSHA approv ed.

I haven't used them, but I found this:

guillemd53228

Glass? Depends what you are trying to protect against. Flying grit od squash balls.

Reply to
clare

Yeah, glass.

When I was a four-eyed kid in the 1950s, I had all manner of mechanical hobbies. My Father's reaction was to get me industrial safety lenses, which were made of tempered glass with a 2mm or 3mm minimum thickness in the center.

I never broke a lens, and there were events where a broken lens was a possibility.

I eventually ran across the standard for safety hard lenses - it should withstand a 16-ounce steel ball dropped one foot into the face of the lens.

So I tested the lenses form an old pair of glasses: dropped a 16 ounce hammer head onto the lens, which was sitting convex side up on a piece of wood. It took something like a 15" drop to break the lens, which turned into glass crumbs.

So that's why I never managed to break one in service.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

cals in Polycarbonate. And they say their polycarbonate lens are not OSHA approved. I tried to get what material they use so I could look up the spe cs. but I couldn't get that info from them.

is OSHA approved? Or at least material that comes close to being OSHA app roved.

Excerpt from my link (above): "...All styles feature shatterproof polycarbonate lenses, are ANSI Z87.1-20

10 certified and provide 99.9% UVA-UVB protection...."

I would have no problem if they were made of glass as long as they honestly met the safety standards advertised.

Reply to
guillemd53228

For my own use, I wear glass lens bifocals 100% of my waking hours - weather working, driving, reading, or whatever. I do not engage in ball sports or hockey, ar anything else where large fast-moving objects are common. When I weld I use welding goggles over the glasses which prevent hot spatter from damaging the lens (believe it or not, "plastic" lens are less likely to be damaged by hot spatter than glass!!) If I'm working under a vehicle or in other places where grit etc is likely to fall, the glass is less likely to be scratched or chemically damaged. The problem comes with the darned anti-glare coating.......

Reply to
clare