Can a slipping belt be fixed?

Hi

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive. The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of the spindle pulley. How do I prevent the belt from slipping? The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid. Hav tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be perfectly in line.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

news:534e7a7e$0$51274$ snipped-for-privacy@dtext01.news.tele.dk...

I replaced the leather with a clipped synthetic on my Logan . Better , but I was still stalling the spindle on heavy cuts w/carbide , which tears a chunk out of the cutter . Tightened the belt until I pulled the clips out ... So I replaced it with a poly-v belt intended for automotive use . These can apparently be cut/skived/glued back together , though I pulled my spindle to install . I've since stalled the motor when cranked down really tight just to see .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Den 16-04-2014 14:52, Terry Coombs skrev:

From your writing it looks like I have to measure the length of the serpentine belt I need. Pulling the spindle of the SB9" ain't that bad ;-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Is there a reason why you can't try aerosol "belt dressing"? It makes the flatbelt surface non-slippery, even tacky. I have three flatbelts (motor->jackshaft, jackshaft->power hammer, jackshaft->bandsaw). The first is spring-tensioned and seems not to need help. The other two slip off if they don't get an occasional spritz of stickum.

(Some old-hand sawmill operators here used to use molasses on heavy flatbelts.)

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Where I've seen belt dressing used is in vehicles and on single v-belts. The results has been of very varying caracter. Given that the belts were a different type maybe I should give it at try.

There is no way that I'll pour molasses on the SB9" here ;-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

The pulleys have to be aligned, but ALSO, the shafts have to be parallel. On some machines, the shaft that drives the pulley can be tilted slightly with the bolts that mount it. If you get that right, the belt will walk up to the crown on the pulley and then stay there. If you totally stall the spindle, then the belt might walk off, but not when both shafts are turning.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

news:534e7a7e$0$51274$ snipped-for-privacy@dtext01.news.tele.dk...

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Den 17-04-2014 00:07, Jon Elson skrev:

It looks like the shafts are perfectly parallel.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

We always used buckwheat honey on the farm- - -

Reply to
clare