OT: Fiberglass Peel Ply

Peel Ply is a fabric that you put on top of the glass after you apply the resin, smooth it out, then peel it off after the resin has set, leaving a pretty damn smooth surface. It will not conform to compound curves but is great for any flat or simple curved plane. It's inexpensive and reusable. I've been doing some boat repairs lately, this is a great innovation IMO. I'm also amazed at how much you can get done with an ounce of resin. I think I'll be using fiberglass around the house and shop a lot more.

Reply to
ATP

I've used Scotch tape to create a flat surface on repaired circuit boards, such as filling in misplaced edge connector keying notches. It's not cosmetically smooth but it's good enough for that purpose, and it keeps the epoxy from spreading across the surface.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

How about a reference to this "Peal Ply". The only peal ply I've seen is that used in vacuum forming GRP and that is just a synthetic gauze sort of material that separates the composite from the backup material that absorbs the excess resin that is squeezed out of the laminate when vacuum is applied.

I can't see the benefit to using it with a simple air cured laminate. Cheers, John B.

Reply to
John B.

John B. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You don't search much, do you?

My first search term came up with dozens of hits.

Here's just one:

'pity it won't handle compound curves.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

ATP

Quote (from OP link)

What if you could skip two of the three coats of epoxy and most of the sanding? Well, you can. Sometimes.

?Peel Ply,? also called ?Release Fabric,? is a synthetic cloth that you drape over your epoxied surface as the epoxy sets up. Once cured, you can peel off the fabric, and what?s left behind is a perfectly smooth surface that?s ready for a quick sanding, or for the next round of epoxy. No runs, no sags, no low spots.

Not only is the surface under the peel ply nearly perfectly smooth, it actually has a texture that improves adhesion if you have anything else to stick to it. We use it here whenever we can.

Reply to
Richard

Actually, ANY Dacron fabric will work fine as peel ply. But be careful about cheap prints. The dyes can sometimes transfer to the laminate. Guys will laugh hysterical at your flowered layups. THEN you'll be sorry!

Reply to
Richard

One last thing...

My effort to show how to make fiberglass parts...

Richard

Thanks for that but it sounds pretty much like the Dacron fabric peal ply that I've always used but they make some claims that I can't believe. The one about "virtually eliminates the weave of the cloth" for example seems, somehow, to imply that if you try a very lean mix that the peel ply will somehow disguise the fact that you didn't have enough resin to saturate the cloth. Just isn't true.

But some of the newer peel plies do sound interesting. Cheers, John B.

Reply to
John B.

Except in my experience it is not perfectly smooth and does take additional sanding before painting. Or, if you use it over a gel coat it leaves a rough surface. As for additional layers adhering, perhaps if you use polyester, but I use mainly epoxy and get blush using peel ply so have to wash or sand it anyway.

Cheers, John B.

Reply to
John B.

My wife buys mine at the fabric shop. A plain white Dacron cloth. I think it is used to make petticoats.

Cheers, John B.

Reply to
John B.

Post the "Princess Lea's slave bra" demo. That sounds interesting :-)

Was the white stuff in the last photo gel coat? If so did you have to sand and buff it or could you get it smooth enough without all the trouble? Cheers, John B.

Reply to
John B.

Well, first you have to take a casting from the Princess. :)

volunteers?

Yes, that's the gel coat finish. Yes, you do have to sand an buff, but it's not at all hard to do. Gel coat sands beautifully.

Best of all it provides good UV protection.

Reply to
Richard

When vacuum bagging all that is pretty much true, John. But vacuum bagging in itself is a hassle for small parts.

Reply to
Richard

That outta be safe :^)

Reply to