OT - Flash tube device category?

Guys,

What category of device is a Xenon triggered flash tube?

I've guessed to a friend that it's a triggerable gas Thyrector, but my memory fails on this item, and none of the lookups have given any joy.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Flash tube, flash lamp?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I think a thyrector (anything with rect in it) is for rectifying current (acting like a diode).

A flash tube is more like a krytron switch, as used in nuclear weapons triggers and coin shrinkers.

Or maybe like a thyratron.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com fired this volley in news:4c748442-6ad7-43c0- snipped-for-privacy@d14g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

I agree with that linquistic analysis, but am still a bit confused because there are gas thyrectors that have no particular conduction direction preference. They're used in AC surge suppression equipment.

The difference seems to lie in the fact that they are not externally triggered, but potential triggered.

Not disagreeing, just still looking for information.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

A coil much like on a car - low voltage with a very high voltage transformer/coil is used to generate the high voltage. A control gate to the trigger on the tube causes the gas to break down and flash.

Mart> "Lloyd E. Sp>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The Xenon ones are for photography or strobe lights. Similar tubes filled with other gases are thyrectors.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The GE handbook I have on this subject simply describes this device as an "electronic flash tube".

For low voltage operation, 300 VDC and up to the break-over voltage, the tube is externally triggered with an ionizing voltage; but once the break-over voltage is reached on the main electrodes the internal gas will conduct and the tube light up, discharging the energy storage capacitor.

Nifty devices... I used a Radio Shack tube to build an engine timing light 30-odd years ago.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

Thyratrons were gas filled tubes used for control of AC current. They were the forerunner of SCR's.

Threctors were selenium devices used a protective devices to clip over voltages.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

"Martin H. Eastburn" fired this volley in news:IOoRl.455106$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-02.dc.easynews.com:

I _understand_ how to use them. I can't remember the electronic category of device.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Not all Thyratrons had anything to do with AC. The CPS6 radar used a bank of (some number)C22 Hydrogen Thyratrons to pulse the Magnatrons and that was definitely a DC operation. As I remember it (a very long time ago) there was a bank of 4 in a series parallel configuration. ( Boy 1953 was a long time ago ) :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

It's a gas-filled tube. Just like a neon lamp, or fluorescent tube, but not so exotic as the triggered-spark-gap thyratrons and such. The trigger electrode is just a capacitive coupled wire; the steel panel adjacent to a fluorescent lamp serves the same function.

Reply to
whit3rd

whit3rd fired this volley in news:0bec152a-072c- snipped-for-privacy@z7g2000vbh.googlegroups.com:

Guys... I underSTAND how they work, how to use them, how to design strobes around them... I just can't remember the generic NAME of that TYPE of device (a triggered gas avalanche discharge tube conducting DC).

I still believe it's a "gas thyrector", but can't seem to prove that on-line.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

my GE handbook calls them "flash tubes" is that what you wanted?

or "gas discharge tubes"

Reply to
Bill Noble

Did you see/review the Wiki page:

If not maybe something there will lead you in the right direction...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Not xenon, but are you looking for "Ignitron"?

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

More generic wiki article:

Other related sites:

guillemd

Call them Geissler tubes.

At least it is historically correct, will raise a few eye brows, astonish your friends, and confuse your enemies.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher