OT Found a Car

SWMBO and I decided on a car, and purchased it. 2008 Kia Rondo. 37k miles. We have the remainder of the 60K, 5 year warranty. The 10 year 100k mile power train warranty is not transferable (contrary to popular myth).

Car is very quiet and fairly soft-riding. That was our main criteria. BTW, it is a small SUV. 20-26 mpg. I can always beat the EPA estimates, especially on the highway end.

BONUS !! Called Kia Customer Service to buy a Shop Manual along with their Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. I always buy the manuals and do all of my own service. KIA informs me that they are no longer available in print, BUT, available for free on the internet. WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD. All this news comes, by the way, on my birthday.

Ivan Vegvary age 67

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Happy birthday youngster!!!!

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Please note that the 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty on emissions equipment is still in effect for you....

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Well done and Happy Birthday, Ivan!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That is awesome. Right after I bought my Saturn SL1 '01, I spent $169.34 for the factory set of manuals. They have been worth it.

Happy Birty day Ivan!

Wes

Wes

I thought you mowed your lawn.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

When I was choosing between an Outback and a Rav4, complete service manuals for either were >$500! One of the things that pushed me toward the Rav was that there was a full copy of its manuals floating around on the web. Another was that Auto Engenuity had better support for Toyota.

Cool. You might check these out if you haven't already.

It's fascinating to see instantaneous mileage drop from 29 at highway speed on pavement, to 7 at low speed on steep dirt, and how that can drive the trip average down 5mpg in just 35 miles. The unit is nicely customizable and makes a good quicky code reader too. Shop around, IIRC I paid $125, but that was more than a year ago.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Wayne, thanks for the thoughtful note. How difficult was it to install the Scangauge? While KIA does offer something similar (not the code reader function) it is a feature that is not included in my stripped down model. I would like to have it? Are the instructions good enough (car model specific) so I can find all the hook-up points?

Thanks again,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

The Scangauge connects to the OBD port, which is probably down low under your steering wheel or thereabouts. It's a big socket and it's meant to be accessible, so it should be easy to find.

The other end of the cable connects to the unit with a CAT5-type connector (looks like a larger version of a telephone connector). There are two sockets on the unit, one on the back, and one on the end. Use whichever works best for you. The unit comes with some self-adhesive velcro. I velcroed a small block of wood to the top of my steering column, and velcroed the unit to the wood so that's just high enough but doesn't block the odometer display. I connected the cable to the back of the unit and routed the wire under dash plastic so that it's pretty much invisible. Some people mount the units on the rearview mirror, dash, etc. The display shows four items of your choice at once, so there's seldom a need to mess with it while driving. But occasionally you might want to change parameters on the fly, so it's good if you can reach it easily. Try not to use the spot you'll want later for your GPS or MP3 player or whatever. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE