OT - Fun with Waterjets

I know a few people here are technology buffs too

Here's a cool use for a waterjet -

Now how do I get me one od those?!

Reply to
surftom

Well, the first thing you are going to need is an intensifier. They aren't cheap since they tend to pump water in the 50,000 psi range.

What I wonder is was this cut with straight water or did they use abrasives? My only experience is with straight water.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

They way to get one, is to buy one. The machine used to cut the X-Boxes was an OMAX model 2652 (see

Prices of installed systems with training and spare parts and such range from about $80,000 to $300,000 depending mostly on table size, precision, and accessories. The particular machine I used would cost about $$130,000 to 140,000

There is also a used machine market, but the pickings are slim.

An alternative is to find a job shop that can do work for you. You can find shops at

If your question "How do I get me on od those" was refering to the x-boxes themselves, then finding a job shop to do the cutting would be a reasonable route. However, I think it would be a bit expensive.

Yes, abrasive was used to cut the x-box's. If pure water was used, the plastic would probably shatter, and the metal would simply reflect or bend without cutting, and it would make a big mess.

- Carl. (the guy who cut these)

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
Carl