The Imperials are here! The Imperials are here!

Just got a box from Model Roundup with my long-awaited '59 Imperials! I ordered one of 'each' the hardtop & convertible before finding out - they're identical kits. The hardtop is a separate piece you can install - or not. The glass is molded to be easy to cut off at the windshield. Since I'm not really much of a droptop guy, but I *am* intrigued by the smooth decklid idea, I may just do a convert with the continental kit and leave the 'toilet seat' off.

The moldings look pretty good at first glance. Several disappointments so far: the scrollwork is *very* faint. A photoetch accessory set might be in order to replace the "I M P E R I A L" on the front fender that is sure to disappear under anycoat of paint. Second, although the stock mirror and antenna holes are covered, the accessory spotlight holes on the A pillars are *not*! WTF? Third, the hood has distinct dimples where the screw posts are (It's a curbside), so some filling is going to be required.

I've got no problems with the 'custom' parts included. Sure hope somebody will use 'em when I don't. The tires are not whitewalls, but that's no big problem. White latex was invented for a reason. The chassis looks quite crude, with all molded-in detail and big metal axles at each end. I'll see if maybe the '57 Chrysler 300 will come close to fitting, even if I don't open the hood to engine detailing.

Box art ain't nothin' to write home about. Decals and the instructions are both rather corny 'period' AMT printings. I may be able to use that cool "Lone Wolf" license plate hanger elsewhere, though. Gotta get a case of Bare Metal Foil ordered ... =8^O

-- C.R. Krieger (Tingling in all my extremities ...)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I had, back in my mis-spent yout', an AMT Imperial convertible. My first "professional" model, I sold it to the guy across the street who had a 1:1. Who manufactured your kit, and is it a re-pop of the old AMT? Back in the day, all of the old year-to-year kits from AMT were curbside. They didn't start adding engines until the '32 or '40 Fords IIRC (could be and most likely am incorrect).

Reply to
The Old Man

That's how the kit was originally tooled and this is, after all, a straight reissue other than having newly-tooled plated parts.

If you don't want them I'll be glad to take them off your hands! :)

It should work fine with a bit of stretching. I'm considering using one on the '58 Imperial built-up I'm restoring.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Yup!

Another of the same old, same old, kits out of the far distant, darkside past of model cardom! It's well to understand, that until AMT/SMP (the Imperials were originally done under the SMP nameplate) hit the shelves in

1958, a double-hand amputee could count the number of 1:25 scale kits with one-piece bodies on his fingers--because there weren't any prior to 1958.

Yes, chassis were crude by modern standards, but back then, those kits were laid out to be sold primarily to kids from say, 8 or 9 to perhaps 15-16 years old, not to adults with highly sophisticated tastes. The plastic was thick, because most of the tooling was created for promotional model cars, made from Acetate plastic, which requires much thicker material section. But, we did love 'em back then, although I'd have to admit, most of us ignored that Imperial back in '59, which makes it all the sweeter that we have a second chance.

As for the convertible/hardtop thingie, that is the way the tooling was cut back then, SMP simply gated off either the top boot, or the hardtop and back glass sections, depending on whether they were running convertibles or hardtops. Again, a product of the times.

However, this kit will make a very credible curbside model of a '59 Imperial, not to mention there will be some awesome customs and even conversions come out of it.

Art

Reply to
biscaybe4151

Cool; are they bringing Little Anthony?

--- Tontoni (tongue firmly in cheek)

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Yep, I feel the need for one myself even though I have an original. Since that one's a convertible, a hardtop is in order. The '58 and '67 are the only 'kitted' Imperials I'm missing. The '67 was really only available as a promo but that's close enough for me.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Ah, well, it's going to be underneath some BMF anyway ...

Shoot me your address. There's one set of miscellaneous fins and oddly chromed scoops ready for you now. I doubt that weird grille decoration would survive, so I won't include it.

I slapped the 300 parts up in there last night. It is very close. The

1:1 cars are 3" different in wheelbase (126" vs 129") and minor variations in the scale of these bodies might make it even closer than that. It'd be tough to see a 1/8" difference even if both are ruthlessly accurate. Since the Chrysler floorpan includes the carpeting/interior floor *and* it seems to fit pretty well, if I were doing a fully detailed buildup, I'd probably chop the floorboards out of the Imp and mate the inner door panels, dash, & seats to it. More than likely, though, I'll build it right out of the box. This is a car that won't gain much with full chassis detailing. It's meant to be a curbside and I'm to the point where I can happily build it that way. ;^)

-- C.R. Krieger (Gettin' an itchy X-Acto finger)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

It's an AMT/Ertl/RC-licensed Model King kit. It is a straight repop with (as Al pointed out) retooled chrome. However, even that chrome includes a handful of goofy 'period' chromed scoops and a set of spindly-looking lakes pipes. I already knew/know about the old kits. I was just describing it for those who might not - so they don't go looking for a big ol' 413 under that molded-in hood.

-- C.R. Krieger (Gettin' an itchy X-Acto finger)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I'm not much of a car guy so this might already be available but it would be nice if someone did some dry transfer silver lettering, numbers, logos for some of these cars. It'd be a lot easier than trying not to sand down the molded on detail, or pick it out again after several coats of paint.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

logos for

I've never seen dry transfers but there are both photo-etched and waterslide decal detail sets available for quite a few cars.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'm toying with the idea of doing this on my '58 as well, along with opening the hood, etc. Not sure yet if I really want to go to all that work though...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

They can't get him out of the home.

I'm on the inside, looking out, And I wannabe, and I wannabe back on the outside, for you.....

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

sorry 'bout that

Reply to
Mad Modeller

They asked me how I knew turtlesh*t was blue, I of course replied, somewhere deep inside, turtlesh*t was dyed.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

who can't enjoy that song since my buddy imparted those lyrics to me years ago.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

we drank a toast to jimmy's ghost my long haired drunken friends hard to believe i'm on the outside looking in stuck on the inside looking out ain't no big disgrace

C.R. I agree with everything in your review.

The box art is very corny and poorly done. A middle school student could have done better job in digitally creating those composite images.

What is a bit dissapointing its the price. Yes, I know, this a a Model King release. But still, 30 bucks for a plain curbside reissue of a 40 year old kit?! Please...

It is in the same price range as the wonderfully detailed and finely molded Tamiya kits. Funny that the recent Pontiac / Speed Boat Model King combo is priced similarly, yet it includes 2 models.

Yes, I did buy it anyway.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I believe Dave Burkett designed the model box top in memory of a junkyard in his childhood , even including his pet dog . I read something to that effect on the Hobby Heaven messageboard .

30 bucks is still great if you compare the price to what you would pay on evilbay . I'd pay more for a nice old 50's car than a highly detailed freekin tunermobile .

noddy

Reply to
noddy

The 59 Imperial kits are molded by AMT/Ertl, for Dave Burkett, a/k/a The Model King, as a private run. The tooling is the original as produced in

1959 by SMP (Scale Model Products), a "kissin' cousin" to AMT (SMP was merged into AMT late in 1961).

It is the same curbside kit as made in 1959, done from promotional model tooling, hence no opening hood or engine details--but it's still a very cool car kit.

You are, of course, correct that AMT began offering engine detail in their

1932 Ford kits, first the roadster, followed by the 5-window coupe, both coming out in the summer of 1959. Also coming out that summer was their '40 Ford Coupe kit, which added the additional realisim of separate front and rear suspension.
Reply to
biscaybe4151