Then Why The Plastic Bag?

Is it to keep the parts from getting knocked around?,you would think there'd be air holes on the bag to help dry out the parts.

I would bet it is because the parts are molded in one place, put in plastic bags, and then packaged in boxes somewhere completely different - maybe in a different country....
Jack G.

Jack G wrote:

I agree with Jack. Many of the old AMT armor kits were reboxed Esci kits. The kits came in sealed plastic bags with MADE IN ITALY imprinted on them inside the AMT box.
Other times they are placed in individual bags to protect more fragile sprues (clear, chrome, car body) from being scratched by other sprues in the box.
That makes me think of back in the '80s when Wal Mart was proclaiming "Buy American Made" or something like that. In the Plastic Models section, they had tons of Testors kits, & not a one were 'made' in the USA, only boxed in the USA!
RobG wrote:

>>...agree with Jack. Many of the old AMT armor kits were reboxed Esci kits. The kits came in sealed plastic bags with MADE IN ITALY imprinted on them inside the AMT box....<
I asked this question a week or two ago, but this begs the question again.... I received an F-8E kit in an ESCI box, in sealed bags marked "Made in Italy", with ESCI instructions and Monogram decals. After a decent inspection, it appears the parts are identical to a Monogram F-8E I already have. Is this a Mono rebox too, or an actual ESCI kit, or what?
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:25:00 -0500, "Disco58"

The only thing ESCI about that kit was the box. There's nothing in common between the Monogram and ESCI F-8s other than the subject matter.

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond

So you probably have a Monogram kit in an ESCI box. No problem as it turns out that the Monogram kit is better than the ESCI kit. Unless you are a collector of ESCI kits, then you are now the proud owner of a rip-off or a one-off. Just depends on how you look at it all.
HTH.
Cheers,
Dennis
Disco58 wrote:

I can't give you an answer on that as I'm uninformed on the subject of 1/48th but I believe I have Esci 1/48th F-8E instructions scanned. If you want to see if they are the same (and I can find them) give me a holler and I'll be glad to send you a sample. Just check my reply to line.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Plastic bags are better at preventing lost parts...plus boxes sometimes get opened. I have seen some bags with holes tho... teem wrote:

So,then it was to keep the parts clean.
teem wrote:

But, there is no need to "dry" stryene after it was molded. It hardens as it is ejected from the moulding machine. That's it.
While I'm not a kit packaging engineer I can say from my experience that kits without bagged part trees sometimes end up with lost parts when they fall off the tree. Especially if the box is mangled on an older kit.
So, if all the parts are bagged in a sealed single bag, that prevents parts loss.
When the individual part trees are bagged that protects parts trees from rubbing agains each other. This prevents scratching (espacially the clear parts). This type of packaging is the most protective of the kit parts.
Many kit part bags do have holes in them. I suspect that is to prevent them from "balooning" rather than allowing anything to dry.
Peteski
Peteski
My main gripe is that we've gone from the point of wanting some protection for clear (and chrome-plated) parts from scratches to the point where 'every frickin'' thing is wrapped in polyethylene. I spend an inordinate amount of time tearing or cutting bags to get the parts out just to feel the plastic and dry fit things. About the only ones I keep are the bags around the clear and chrome parts, if any.
Just my 5.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.