Then Why The Plastic Bag?

I would bet it is because the parts are molded in one place, put in plastic bags, and then packaged in boxes somewhere completely different - maybe in a different country....

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

eyeball

Is it to keep the parts from getting knocked around?,you would think there'd be air holes on the bag to help dry out the parts.

Reply to
teem

I agree with Jack. Many of the old AMT armor kits were reboxed Esci kits. The kits came in sealed plastic bags with MADE IN ITALY imprinted on them inside the AMT box.

Other times they are placed in individual bags to protect more fragile sprues (clear, chrome, car body) from being scratched by other sprues in the box.

Reply to
RobG

That makes me think of back in the '80s when Wal Mart was proclaiming "Buy American Made" or something like that. In the Plastic Models section, they had tons of Testors kits, & not a one were 'made' in the USA, only boxed in the USA!

RobG wrote:

Reply to
frank

I asked this question a week or two ago, but this begs the question again.... I received an F-8E kit in an ESCI box, in sealed bags marked "Made in Italy", with ESCI instructions and Monogram decals. After a decent inspection, it appears the parts are identical to a Monogram F-8E I already have. Is this a Mono rebox too, or an actual ESCI kit, or what?

Reply to
Disco58

The only thing ESCI about that kit was the box. There's nothing in common between the Monogram and ESCI F-8s other than the subject matter.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I can't give you an answer on that as I'm uninformed on the subject of

1/48th but I believe I have Esci 1/48th F-8E instructions scanned. If you want to see if they are the same (and I can find them) give me a holler and I'll be glad to send you a sample. Just check my reply to line.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So you probably have a Monogram kit in an ESCI box. No problem as it turns out that the Monogram kit is better than the ESCI kit. Unless you are a collector of ESCI kits, then you are now the proud owner of a rip-off or a one-off. Just depends on how you look at it all.

HTH.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace

So,then it was to keep the parts clean.

Reply to
teem

But, there is no need to "dry" stryene after it was molded. It hardens as it is ejected from the moulding machine. That's it.

While I'm not a kit packaging engineer I can say from my experience that kits without bagged part trees sometimes end up with lost parts when they fall off the tree. Especially if the box is mangled on an older kit.

So, if all the parts are bagged in a sealed single bag, that prevents parts loss.

When the individual part trees are bagged that protects parts trees from rubbing agains each other. This prevents scratching (espacially the clear parts). This type of packaging is the most protective of the kit parts.

Many kit part bags do have holes in them. I suspect that is to prevent them from "balooning" rather than allowing anything to dry.

Peteski

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

My main gripe is that we've gone from the point of wanting some protection for clear (and chrome-plated) parts from scratches to the point where 'every frickin'' thing is wrapped in polyethylene. I spend an inordinate amount of time tearing or cutting bags to get the parts out just to feel the plastic and dry fit things. About the only ones I keep are the bags around the clear and chrome parts, if any.

Just my 5¢.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller