OT- Gun Writer Investigated Over Email

Subject: [freedoms_voice] Date: Sunday, February 22, 2004 9:40 PM >

> > >KeepAndBearArms.com Alert > >February 19, 2004 >Late evening breaking story... > >KABA Writer Investigated for Questioning Civil Authority > >Police say Investigation "Ongoing" > >"Did you know that writing a rhetorical letter to the civil >authorities in California challenging their hypocrisy results >in a police investigation that includes not only calls from >detectives but two black and white police cruisers coming >to your home?" > >"That's what happened to longtime gun rights activist and >professional writer David Codrea this week. What follows >is a link to the investigation-inspiring letter, a detailed >description of what transpired and a description of how >trying to get our own answers from the investigators >resulted in unwillingness to respond to our simple, >reasonable inquiry." ... > >FULL STORY HERE: > >
> >COMMENT ON THIS SITUATION > >What do you think about having the First Amendment Police >knocking on your door for the high crime of asking questions >in defense of gun rights? We'd love to hear from as many >people as possible. > >Therefore, this story is also the first item on the Newslinks >page listed below: > >
>Click "Post Comments" and speak your mind. Feel free to do >so anonymously if you so choose.

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

If you read his letter, he's not commenting about it, he's threatening to descend on San Francisco city hall (which had a nasty handgun incident about 20 years ago) with illegal assault rifles and clips of ammo. He's lucky they are such a tolerant bunch - they could have hauled him in on charges of threatening state and local officials. Most likely, sending such a threatening note through the mails makes it a federal crime, and since we are under (effectively) marshall law here in the US right now, he could just get "dissappeared" like Jose Padilla and friends. Now,, he didn't actually threaten to shoot anyone, just descend on city hall with heavy arms.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Ahem. So the only time the first amendment gets any airtime here, is when the second is getting shat upon?

Didn't somebody mention that the moment *one* bit of the bill of rights gets diminished, the entire thing does likewise?

Granted nobody got arrested here. I suspect the cop who was tagged to do contact him said when he was handed the assignment.

Jim

jim rozen

That letter definitely sounded like a nut case who was pissed off about the gay marrage thing and about to head for city hall with his guns loaded. Given San Fransisco's previous experience with homophobic nut cases, I would have been very surprised if it had NOT set off alarm bells. I am surprised that the patrolmen didn't have the SWAT team backing them up.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:53:47 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

And I thought you said nobody's rights were being knocked around by the new Pat Act or DHS, Gunner.

(suckage major)

-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.

- Jump-free website programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hummm I read visit, you read "descend".

Interesting choice of words, no?

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

This had what to do with the Pat Act or DHS?

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

No, it didn't!

Jim, whose opinion, btw, has nothing to do with either issue.

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Only to a paranoid left wing radical :o). Sounded like a logical, intelligent argument to me. But obviously struck a nerve among those who decide which laws to obey (enforce) & which to ignore. Greg Sefton PS: I have no problem with gay marriage.

Reply to
Bray Haven

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:41:28 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

Oh, the police acted alone? If so, it was a direct result of the aforementioned. If not, it was the aforementioned. Do you think the police would have reacted the same way 2 years ago? I don't.

I just don't see why we have to change our entire f*ck*ng lifestyle and culture in FEAR of another attack which we couldn't possibly prevent "if our lives depended upon it." I'm angry with how America is over-reacting to so few terrorists, both internals and externals.

Gangs and organized crime cause more damage and kill more people in the US than terrorists do, and we can't control them. What makes them so sure we can stop terrorists? Hell, they can't even catch all the guns, bullets, or fake bombs in airport security scans. It is entirely ineffectual, far too costly, and is a scam perpetuated by the government against the citizens of this country. Feh!

-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.

- Jump-free website programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Patriot Act I & II and the post 9/11 terrorism policy!!

- 1930's Germany! You got an Administration that was not elected in. And NOBODY asked any questions?

- The question should be, are the gun enthusiasts willing to do civil war to keep and bear ams? Because here in the USA in the not too far off future, we will lose that right, then what?

- I'm fully qualified on several military style weapons via U.S. Navy Seabees once upon a time and I don't have a gun in the house! Here in NY State there is no justifiable reason to kill somebody with a gun, let alone other weapons. If you do, jail time it will be, unless you are a prominent person with connections and lots of dough!!

- Nobody makes a big deal about it, like during WWII, but the USA is at war currently in Afghanistan and Iraq and if the powers that are, suspect USA security is at risk, you bet your life people will be investigated. Be careful who your friends are and who you associate with. Sounds like the way Germany and Russia used to be. Scary stuff!! Glad I don't have kids. ~~~~~~~~~~ Comment on your Trefor Thomas quote: I disagree. In my experience, what I saw a la USA Navy basic training, up above Chicago, my own people, anybody can cause unimaginable mayhem and terror. All you gotta do is push the right buttons in the right sequence at a bad time in one's life. Anybody can snap! On a simpler scale, brainwashing does the job nicely. You can very nicely take the domesticated and make warriors out of them, the military does it every day. True some don't cut it and wash out, but most go thru without hardly even a fight. It's about comradship, tribe mentality and all that good stuff: Duty, God, Country, Honor. And PTSD for the survivors to deal with later, the rest of their lives.

- Kurt {:{ =========== re:

OT- Gun Writer Investigated Over Email Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Mon, Feb 23, 2004, 8:53pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@lightspeed.net (Gunner) Subject: [freedoms_voice] Date: Sunday, February 22, 2004 9:40 PM KeepAndBearArms.com Alert February 19, 2004 Late evening breaking story... KABA Writer Investigated for Questioning Civil Authority Police say Investigation "Ongoing" "Did you know that writing a rhetorical letter to the civil authorities in California challenging their hypocrisy results in a police investigation that includes not only calls from detectives but two black and white police cruisers coming to your home?" "That's what happened to longtime gun rights activist and professional writer David Codrea this week. What follows is a link to the investigation-inspiring letter, a detailed description of what transpired and a description of how trying to get our own answers from the investigators resulted in unwillingness to respond to our simple, reasonable inquiry." ... FULL STORY HERE:

COMMENT ON THIS SITUATION What do you think about having the First Amendment Police knocking on your door for the high crime of asking questions in defense of gun rights? We'd love to hear from as many people as possible. Therefore, this story is also the first item on the Newslinks page listed below:
Click "Post Comments" and speak your mind. Feel free to do so anonymously if you so choose. "To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Metal Man

For those of you who would rather listen that read, Tom Paxton has a couple of songs on his web site. "Homeland security" is pretty appropo for this thread but "John Ashcroft" is my favorite. :-)

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Excellent. Thanks for posting the link.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE_THIS

Me either, with one caveat. Neither my son or my daughter enter into one.

Mike Eberle> >That letter definitely sounded like a nut case who was pissed off about

Reply to
mikee

Amen to that! I fly a lot on business. I went thru Denver/Atlanta/Chicago/wherever last month, and after being almost strip searched by the TSA guys with their goal of inconviencing as many airline passengers as possible, I asked "Have you caught any bad guys with really nasty weapons, yet?" The response was negative. I responded: "Get busy M.F., they are out there. Find 'em. We aren't paying you to hassle us. Give all passengers a baseball bat and I guarantee you no more US airline will get hijacked." The guy looked at me as if I were a looney toon.

Mike Eberle> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:41:28 GMT, Gunner

Reply to
mikee

I'm with you, except the bats would be just for those that are poor marksmen or markswomen. Eliminate the spending of tax dollars on another damned federal agency.

michael

Reply to
michael

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:55:42 -0600, Jon Elson vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Is it possible to killfile on the message _content_? I have already tried to ignore Gunner's increasingly frequent and ranting pro-gun posts. Now I keep seeing the replies anyway. I know I know. Just ignore them. Mostly I do.

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is about, on either side. Codrea produced a well written text, suitable for framing or publishing. The authorities, on the off chance that he was a nut case, did a quick check on him over the phone. What's the big deal?

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Agree. The 'big fuss' has to do with the notion that anything that even remotely impinges on the second amendment is grounds for upset.

Or anything that impinges on the first, as long as it

*involves* the second....!

Jim

jim rozen

Since you are using Agent, the answer is, "No, not at this time." Just use the ignore icon (circle with slash through it) until Version 2.1 (I hope) comes out).

I suspect you knew that, though, since you are running Agent 2.0 beta software.... which, if it isn't pirated, will expire soon. You are also about 5 builds behind the power curve.

Reply to
Gene Kearns