Ultra High Speed Metalworking

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Wow. But one question. It says the "The submerged Farncomb fired..... from over the horizon". When You are submerged, isn't EVERYTHING over the horizon?

jk

Reply to
jk

As I remember the record for sinking a destroyer ( not destoyer escort ) in WWII was something like 10 seconds. A Japanese torpedo hit the destroyer between the forward engine room and the aft boiler room, and the whole ship was underwater in the ten seconds.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

And another, do they always paint those white crosses on ships during wartime?

Jim

jim rozen

Actually I was going to say, those photos did look impressive, but then I suspect that the same scenario played out about a thousand or so times during ww2. Bang, blub.

Jim

jim rozen

Reply to
mikee

I believe during ww2 they had a number of magnetic detonators for torpedos. They didn't work very well and I think most of them were german. But I doubt very much that the crew of the merchant ships going to the bottom cared about the exact mechanism in the fish.

Jim

jim rozen

I bet you are correct with that statement.

Mike

jim rozen wrote:

Reply to
mikee

I've been reading a book on U-boat operations in the atlantic during ww2. A lot of the times the merchant ships were never really listed as sunk, they just never showed up. The crew were often not really well documented, it's not clear really *how* many men were killed this way.

During the beginning of the war, the germans had boats that were sailing up into NY harbor, never challenged.

One story was that a US boat was asked to test the defenses. They sailed in an used a signal light to try to get the attention of one of the CG picket boats. No reply. They had been told to be insistant.

The began firing signal flares across the bow of the ship! That got some response.

Jim

jim rozen