OT-: Mystery Bulge in Oregon Still Growing

>Mystery Bulge in Oregon Still Growing >By The Associated Press > >posted: 06 September 2005 >09:02 am ET > > >BEND, Ore. (AP) -- A recent survey of a bulge that covers about 100 >square miles near the South Sister indicates the area is still growing, >suggesting it could be another volcano in the making or a major shift >of molten rock under the center of the Cascade Range. > >Recent eruptions at nearby Mount St. Helens in Washington state have >rekindled interest in the annual Sisters survey and its findings. > >Oregon has four of the 18 most active volcanoes in the nation -- Mount >Hood, Crater Lake, Newberry and South Sister. A recent U.S. Geological >Survey report said monitoring is inadequate at all of them, with only >basic monitoring at about half of the active volcanoes. > >Unlike the volcanoes, the bulge gets an extensive annual survey to >track its growth. Spread out across an area nearly as big as the city >of Portland, It's centered about three miles southwest of the South >Sister, about 25 miles from Bend. > >The results of the late August survey won't be ready for weeks, but >scientists have reached some conclusions about the bulge from past >monitoring. > >They say it probably began growing in 1997 and has been rising ever >since at a rate of about 1.4 inches a year. It was first observed from >space using a relatively new imaging technology known as radar >interferometry that can measure changes in the Earth's surface. > >The likely cause of the bulge is a pool of magma that, according to >Deschutes National Forest geologist Larry Chitwood, is equal in size to >a lake 1 mile across and 65 feet deep. > >The magma lake is rising 10 feet each year, under tremendous pressure, >and it deforms the Earth's surface as it expands, causing the bulge. > >Other causes could be anything from the birth of a new volcano -- a >fourth Sister in the making -- to a routine and anticlimactic pooling >of liquid rock, researchers say. > >"The honest and shortest answer is, we don't know,'' said Dan Dzurisin, >a USGS geologist. > >Dzurisin recently led a three-person leveling crew on a slow walk >across the top of the bulge. They were hoping to detect any change in >its surface using survey equipment accurate to one-sixteenth of an inch >for every mile measured. > >Dzurisin's survey data, in concert with space imaging and satellite >positioning measurements from two dozen fixed points on the bulge, give >scientists an idea of the bulge's depth and size. > >Additional information from seismographs and chemical monitoring of >area springs reveal movement of the magma underground. A swarm of 350 >small earthquakes in March 2004 indicated magma was on the move, but >the bulge has been quiet ever since. > >Whether the magma will move again or ever reach the surface is a >mystery. But if it did, geological history suggests it would result >only in small cinder cones that spew ash and lava. > >The good news is that such an eruption likely would not seriously >affect any population centers, Chitwood said. > >Such cones are the most common volcanic features on Earth, he added. >Central Oregon has about 600. Basalt flows have occurred in the area of >the bulge every 1,000 to 1,500 years for the past 4,000 years, he said. >And the area is due for another. > >"The bulge is on time,'' Chitwood said. "The bus has arrived.'' > >end > > >This makes sense. The ring of fire around the Pacific Ocean, has gaps, >of activity, between Mt St. Helens, and Mexico City. I am expecting the >Long Valley Caldera to become active, within a few million years, but >also, the area of Mojave VAlley, CA, and the Colorado River area near >Las Vegas, and also Pheonix,AZ. > >How do I get to this? If you locate the subduction zone along the >Washington - Oregon coast line, then measure the distance to the >volcanoes Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainer, M. St. Helens, etc. (See: >
> [...]

Got volcano insurance?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

This will be Bush's fault too. Welfare state participants covered in ash, asking where are the rescue people, why didn't I get a limo to save me? Got to be Bus's fault! Michael

Reply to
Michael

When I am able to see the bulge, I will begin to worry. Actually, prevailing winds will take any ash away to the SE. Lava flow would have a long time getting to either Bend or Redmond. I suppose the environmentalists will have a fit because it will destroy more spotted owl and bull trout habitat!

Paul in Redmond, OR

Reply to
pdrahn

But man, think of the advances in computing that would happen if lava _did_ take out Redmond.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Redmond Oregon is far from Redmond Washington.

Reply to
Scott

And a far nicer place to live. Especially if you like skiing and high desert.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Sorry, my bad. I will modify my statement to specify the northern of the two.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

They'll turn up, Cliff.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Please stop quoting his insanity.

Reply to
Scott

Ah, is that the same cliff people complain about, who usually massively crossposts? I only see very few posts, probably because he almost never doesn't crosspost. I can fix the filters if this is the same entity. Let me know.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It's him.

He's one of the very few that will never leave my killfile.

Him, Marks and Hawke all share the dungeon.

***************

Top 10 Crossposters ===================

Articles Address

-------- -------

921 Cliff 166 Gunner 122 "Sheldon Marks" 87 "Hawke" 79 "John Scheldroup" 70 myal 62 Guido 61 Daedalus 56 snipped-for-privacy@you.are.it.com 53 Gunner Asch
Reply to
Scott

We don't know. That's what "hidden" means.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thank you so *very* much.

Enough of that corncob.

So, anyone play with MasterCAM X yet?

I saw a copy at a buds shop yesterday, and I have to wonder why they abandoned the GUI format that they have been running up our asses for literally decades.

Learning curve looks to be profitable for the training types...

They own the seats they have because they bought the maintenance (BTW, their

5 axis processors are shit), but are going to stay with 9.1 for the time being.
Reply to
Scott

Due to the new environmental regulations concerning wood and paper products, former Charmin/Northern/etc. customers are advised to begin wiping their asses with spotted owls. :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

One can only dream...

Reply to
Don Bruder

Reply to
Bill Alliston

The state of the art today in such mesurements is around .5 mm over 20 miles. They use lasers among other things. Some fascinating stuff. I live within 5 miles of the San Andreas Fault, and about 40-60 miles as the crow flies from Parkfield, California, the most active place in the US. Ive taken the tours etc. Really interesting stuff.

Gunner

Gunner

This reminds me of the guy that comes home, carefully opens and closes the front door, removes his shoes, and heads to the bed room stopping off first in the bath room and gets a couple of aspirin.

He then moves silently into his bedroom to find his sleeping wife. He then gently pushes her moth and pops the aspirin into her mouth.

She wakes spitting and angrily asks what are you doing? He replied "Aspirin dear, for your headache"

"But I don't have a headache." She said.

Good!" He replied.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf