OT - Oak Tool Chests From Grizzly?

After working for a while in the tool stockroom at my plant, my wife decided that a wood tool chest would be a cool way to store her jewelry (better than the frilly stuff that is usually sold for women). Accordingly, I thought I'd get her one for her birthday coming up in a couple of weeks. I can't afford a Gerstner (even their International series), so I wanted to know if any of you guys has bought one of the Grizzly oak chests. Specifically, I'm thinking about this one:

Opinions (c'mon, I know y'all got plenty of that!) or alternate suggestions?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I have seen bigger versions at Sams and at costco in the past. Both seemed very well made. Wish I'd bought one.

Reply to
RB

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:11:34 -0400, the infamous Joe scrawled the following:

I've seen the HF versions of those and they aren't too bad looking, but I wouldn't want to store a whole lot of weight in the drawers. I also recommend waxing the drawers and glides prior to putting it into service. Cheap stuff tends to chatter _horribly_, but I saw one of those chatterboxes in an Etherized Allen Gallery, too. Shameful!

That box should work just fine for lightweight jewelry, Joe.

P.S: Does she have THAT much jewelry? Make a full-size mockup for her to determine if she wants that much box on her dressing table.

-- Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The HF box I have seen was pressed board under a cheap veneer. It took me about 30 seconds to decide I did not need one. Hopefully the Grizzly version is better.

Reply to
RB

I didn't like the HF box - like RB said, crappy pressboard construction. I'm hoping the Grizzly is something like plywood; they say "face veneer over stable center core construction, interlocking joints", etc. Dunno.

She does have lots of stuff - I buy her unusual handcrafted earrings all the time, and after 37 years, that translates to lots of stuff. Most of it is sterling, as we both prefer it to gold (even if the cost were not a factor). It won't sit on her dressing table, though. There is a beautiful silk-lined rosewood chest there that I gave her about

35 years ago. She wants to place the "jool-box" (her term) on a small side table next to the vanity. She ain't a typical Barbie type, although she does a good imitation, being a petite blonde who favors pink - she even told our Fastenal rep (numerous times) that they needed to market a line of tools with pink handles!

Joe

Reply to
Joe

They are not half bad chests actually.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I've been using one of those in my home shop for three years and got my wife one last year for her bead work stuff. About th' only complaint I can think of is th' locks are cheezey as hell. I'm buying a lower for mine next and I'm pretty sure Jeanne wants another top box. IMHO, for th' money you can't go wrong with those.

Snarl...

Reply to
snarl67

one:

Joe As others have said COSTCO and Sams club have them at times. I believe I have also seen them online. But don't go the junk route. It will be a big mistake.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Do you have one of those Bob?

Snarl... didn't think so

Reply to
snarl67

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Based on your comments, I just ordered one from Grizzly, so if it sucks, it's your fault!

I'll give a (brief) report on it when it arrives, or when Angie has had a chance to see it.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:24:13 -0400, the infamous Joe scrawled the following:

I read "veneered pressboard" from that. You?

Cute!

If Fastenal won't sell 'em, B&D will:

OK, here's a "real" toolset:

-- Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah. Right after I typed those comments, I deciphered the likely truth.

I couldn't figure out what the hammer was - too much glare from the flash, then another "flash" revealed the whole truth. Too effin' funny! (sanitized due to posting from work)

Outstanding! I may drop 20 bucks on that, even if the tools are HF quality, just for the grin factor. Thanks.

I had ordered the toolbox yesterday, and thought about the wisdom of using my home email address, but decided it was OK - Angie *never* bothers to look at my email. So yesterday afternoon, she needed to find some info from a friend, and just happened to open the "order confirmation" from Grizzly. I was displeased when I saw that the mail had been opened, but she asked me if I had finally ordered a toolbox to store my knives (numerous fixed-blade, daggers and better quality "automatic" knives) that currently are just rolled up in a bag. I said "Uh, um, yeah, I finally decided to go ahead & get one" - yeah, that's the ticket . Now I only have to dodge the issue for another 10 days.

We had been looking for an old drawer-style tool box for my knives at the local flea market, but it's amazing what the vendors think of those old rusty beater boxes!

Joe

Reply to
Joe

In that case you'll be pleasently suprised when it arrives. Mine is solid wood with dovetailed corners. The *only* pressboard with veneer are the drawer bottoms. And the veneer is facing down where nobody will ever see it... unless you pull out a drawer and look at the bottom .

Snarl

Reply to
snarl67

You know that Gerstner has their own line of jewelery boxes which are similar in quality to their tool chests.

I got one for my wife on one of our visits to Cabin Fever. (We picked out a design, and Gerstner shipped one to our home address.)

Just the observation that these jewelry boxes exist, and some, at least are somewhat more affordable than their toolchests.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols