OT: range of cordless keyboard

That is a poor choice, since it is a USB powered keyboard. Only work up to a very limited distance.

You want a Bluetooth keyboard. From "Bluetooth Frequently Asked Questions"

and

Q: What is Bluetooth? A: Bluetooth is the name for a short-range radio frequency (RF) technology that operates at 2.4 GHz and is capable of transmitting voice and data. The effective range of Bluetooth devices is 32 feet (10 meters). Bluetooth transfers data at the rate of 1 Mbps, which is from three to eight times the average speed of parallel and serial ports, respectively.

Q: What is the range of Bluetooth transmitter/receivers? A: Bluetooth is designed for very low power use, and the transmission range will only be 10m, about 30ft. High-powered Bluetooth devices will enable ranges up to 100m (300ft). Considering the design philosophy behind Bluetooth, even the 10m range is adequate for the purposes Bluetooth is intended for. Later versions of the Bluetooth spec may allow longer ranges.

Reply to
Abrasha

Thanks, I did a google search and Amazon.com had one for $66. Its on the way.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

They are also multi frequency - and some IIRC are also "spread spectrum" so several can co-exist within range of each other. Don't know how many frequencies, or how many hash codes they have, but definitely more than 2.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The company I did work for owned that "Spread Spectrum" patent and was into RF USB big time. Yes - one has to handshake the mouse with the USB home device and that helps trapping user.

Naturally, one just presses one button and a neighbor might be selected by mistake.

Something like Spread Spectrum is used in Wireless net - 802.11(a...n...) N is the latest big bull on the mat. 4x farther and 16x stronger.

I use G to the shop from here - no problem - metal skin of the shop and all. (lots of RF holes!)

martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

clare at snyder.> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:oCm2h.1152$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

I have a Logitech cordless keyboard/mouse. I have to go at least twenty feet away from the receiver to brush the dust off it. I think a 15 foot range will prove reliable. Place the receiver outside the cabinet.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey