Jerry Foster

Either get the proper tool or just work a shop rag in behind the handle and pull it around untill it catches the end of the "C" shaped wire clip and puls it out.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Reply to
JR North

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:01:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@northstate.net quickly quoth:

Chebbies used to have circlips holding them on. Harbor Freight has a set of tools for door panels which is a good deal.

Barring that, grab your o-ring remover tool (like a curved dental probe), push in on the door panel at the crank, and look for the clip to pull. The crank slides off after that. Then reinstall the clip and the crank will pop back on when you're ready.

Quick, short strokes with lube, of course.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Or just make one. Grab about 1/4" of a piece of 1/16" steel (TIG rod works great) in a vise, bend a sharp 90 degree angle. Grind the end flat and grind the bent part down so it protrudes only about 3/32". Insert tool behind window crank handle opposite the crank, hook the clip and pull it out.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Many thanks to all who replied. I used the shop rag trick; took less than 30 seconds 8o)). Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC

Reply to
kabowers

I have a special tool for removing the crank and door handles on my 38 plymouth - seems to fit up into the 50s when the design changed - odd looking thing, it looks like a two tined fork with a dowl pin in the middle - the tines press the escutchion back away from teh handle and the dowel pin pushes out the pin that holds the handle to the square shaft

they sure don't make them like that any more

note, that the handles and stuff on my 38 plymouth, 36 cad, even 51 dodge are all intact, yet I just had the window switch on a fairly expensive 1997 vintage car disintegrate - I think I like metal better than plastic for longevity. On the other hand, I can drive the 993 faster and longer and with less service than teh old P-6

Reply to
William Noble