OT-separating engine from generator

I found an old standby generator and I'd like to separate the engine from the generator.

It is a generac generator and a 4 cylinder engine.

The problem is a hidden bolt inside a housing in between the generator and the engine.

Does anyone by chance know how this sort of assembly comes apart?

It has a hub on the end of the generator armature that bolts on to the fly wheel with six bolts.

The problem is a fan connected to this hub, by blind bolts, that won't allow the generator through the housing which is bolted onto the engine bell.

If by chance anyone recognizes this problem, thanks for the help.

Reply to
stone

Oh, boy. If this anything like my Kohler Electric Plant you have take the generator section apart completely, leaving the armature connected to the crankshaft. Take lots of pictures for future reference. With the armature fully exposed, whack it with a rubber mallet in the direction of rotation because it is connected to the crank by a taper, which will hopefully release.

Good luck.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I do have a manual that has an explode diagram.

And the problem is the 'big' nut on the armature inside the fly wheel hub.

I thought that even if you disassemble from the generator end, how would one get to this hidden nut.

Are you saying that you do infact need to disassemble from the generator end, leave the armature hanging, then tap the nut off?

Is it really this stupid?

Appreciate your help.

Reply to
stone

I think you can pop the armature off the shaft, leaving the hub & fan connected to the engine. The armature shaft ought to be hollow once you take the long retaining bolt out of the end of it. Tap the end of the shaft, install a grease fitting, and pump it loose. Slightly messy to clean up, but less hassle than the other way.* If it's not put together that way, sorry, it's a beastie I've never seen before. I've only dealt with the little one and two cylinder versions.

*The other way: take out the retaining bolt, look at the thread size. Find a short bolt with that thread, cut off the head and slot it so you can use a screwdriver. Slide it back down the shaft and screw it in. Tap the end of the armature shaft like the grease method (I think it's the size for a 5/8 fine thread, but you'd better measure) and get a bolt that fits. Now find a rod long enough to go in, touch the head of the slotted screw/bolt thing, but be far enough back you can get your 5/8 bolt started before hitting it. Screw down the 5/8 bolt until you're applying a bunch of pressure then smack the head of it with a hammer. Armature should pop off. If it doesn't, tighten the bolt a quarter turn and try again. Repeat until it's loose or you destroy something. Personally, I'd use the grease method.
Reply to
B.B.

Ask on the generator board at smokstak.

Vaughn