need advice concerning stationary engine

Hi

I am not a contibuting member of this group but I could use a bit of advice concerning engines. I have a 30 kW generator powered by a Hercules G-2300 four cylinder engine that runs on natural gas. I would like to replace this engine with a 1.6 L VW diesel. The input shaft seems to be bolted directly to the flywheel of the engine and there is no bearing between the engine and the generator.

Will the VW engine be able to take the weight of the generator shaft and flywheel (I estimate 70 lbs) or will this overload the rear main bearing of the engine?

thanks

stan

Reply to
SBaer

I would be rather concerned about the weight on start up when there is no hydrodynamic lubrication. Does the VW engine have a governor? I mean the sort that holds a set speed rather than the sort for over speed protection.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I am planning on using a belt driven governor from a Chrysler industial engine.

stan

John Manders wrote:

Reply to
SBaer

I'd be more concerned with whether the VW can run it. The Hercules on natural gas is rated at 60/45 HP/KW @ 2400 rpm. However as a genset, top rpm is given as

1800 rpm. What is the rated rpm for your genset? How does the VW rate at the same rpm?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Bear in mind that your alternator is probably a 4 pole unit- hence 1500rpm,- which the diesel will be fine with because of its torque- but the much smaller 1.6 litre VW engine will not have anywhere near the power to hold a constant speed of 1500rpm if you load up the alternator to its rating.

I would possibly look into using the VW engine with gearbox attached and the alternator driven from the output of the gearbox- find a suitable gear so the output turns at 1500rpm and the engine at 2500rpm+.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks for the reply. I only need about 10-15 kW max, most of the time it will be running at 2 or 3 kW. I am using it to power my machine shop. I only use one machine at a time, the largest load is the welder. As an aside, the present motor is started by a 24v motor/exciter that is on the end of the generator (no reduction). Do you think it would start the diesel?

stan

Tom wrote:

Reply to
SBaer

In Canada we use 60Hz which works out to 1800 RPM. I will be happy to get 12kW max.

stan

Tim (Remove NOSPAM. wrote:

Reply to
SBaer

One way of solving the mounting problem could be to leave it attached to the Hercules and belting the VW to the Hercules..

If you remove the rods, block the rod bearing oilways and perhaps remove the valves & springs, the engine just turns into a self lubricating shaft & bearing assy. Also by belting the VW to the Herc you can adjust the pulley ratio to suit a better rpm range for the VW power.

As for the starting off the exciter, chances are it'll still work considering the VW is that much smaller.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

That's lateral thinking!

I wonder if there's a possibility of modifying the rocker box cover to accommodate exhaust valve lifters.

Still seems a lot of work compared with buying a solid state controlled alternator heat to fit the VW.

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie

I was hoping to sell the Hercules engine for $100 or so, is there a market for an engine like this?

stan

Andrew Heggie wrote:

Reply to
SBaer