OT: The state of American education today?

While reading today's comix, I hit on this one:
"By driving at 100 miles per hour in a car, if it were possible, IT WOULD
TAKE MORE THAN 28 YEARS TO REACH THE NEAREST STAR - PROXIMA CENTAURI!"
Well, yeah, significantly more than 28 years - more like 28 MILLION years!
Are Florida teachers unionized?
Thanks,
Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
) While reading today's comix, I hit on this one: )
"By driving at 100 miles per hour in a car, if it were possible, IT WOULD ) TAKE MORE THAN 28 YEARS TO REACH THE NEAREST STAR - PROXIMA CENTAURI!" ) ) Well, yeah, significantly more than 28 years - more like 28 MILLION years!
Quite nearly 28 million years, actually. (By my reckoning it's about 28.3 million years.) So I'm guessing they just dropped that million somewhere.
SaSW, Willem
Reply to
Willem
Yeah, probably a typo rather than pure ignorance. If it were true, existing spacecraft could easily do the distance in a few weeks.
Reply to
Pimpom
I dunno about the accuracy of "typo" here, considering it's hand- lettered. ;-)
But that's probably kinda like "outtakes" in (on? of? from?) an animated cartoon. ;-)
Cheers! Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
Look at the line break after "28." There's more than enough room for "years" after it on that line -- even enough for "million." There was no need for a line break, especially since they hyphenated a word in the next line. That was an editor or graphic artist who screwed it up.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
It would take almost 4x that to reach the nearest star.
Actually, it's often called "Sol".
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
Horace Connelly is retired, so he probably went to school elsewhere. He graduated in 1956, the peak year for SAT performance.
The Orlando Odditorium is 20 miles from his house. Connelly may have confronted the management about the fact, believe it or not, that Robert Leroy Ripley died on the air in 1949. If word got out, what would happen to attendance? I don't know why else the Syndicate would attempt to destroy his credibility by publishing a false factoid.
Reply to
J Burns
Particularly since, even driving at 100MPH, it's unlikely that the car is ever going to leave the surface of the Earth. ;-)
Reply to
krw
Actually, I had noticed that myself when I was double- and triple-checking my arithmetic; I just didn't post it. :-)
Thanks! Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
I think they meant "By driving in a car at 100 *million* miles an hour, if it were possible,....".
After all, it is possible to drive in a car at 100 MPH.
Just seems logical to me, and the numbers come out approximately right.
You're welcome, John
Reply to
John - KD5YI
)> While reading today's comix, I hit on this one: )>
> "By driving at 100 miles per hour in a car, if it were possible, IT WOULD )> TAKE MORE THAN 28 YEARS TO REACH THE NEAREST STAR - PROXIMA CENTAURI!" )> )> Well, yeah, significantly more than 28 years - more like 28 MILLION years! )> )> Are Florida teachers unionized? )> )> Thanks, )> Rich )> ) ) I think they meant "By driving in a car at 100 *million* miles an hour, ) if it were possible,....". ) ) After all, it is possible to drive in a car at 100 MPH. ) ) Just seems logical to me, and the numbers come out approximately right.
Yes, the 'if it were possible' was a big hint. I wonder what the time dilation is at a 100 million miles an hour. After all, it's almost 15% of lightspeed.
SaSW, Willem
Reply to
Willem
Note that the point of reference is not stated. So, if you choose to answer your own question, take all points of reference into account.
John
Reply to
John - KD5YI

Site Timeline