OT: The state of American education today?

Rich Grise:

"John":

"Willem":

But it isn't possible to drive to Proxima Centauri, so "if it were possible" works either way. And the correction factor of 1,000,000 works either way.

Not much. sqrt(1-.149^2) is only about 0.989, so allowing for time dilation only changes things by about 1.1%.

Reply to
Mark Brader

Right! There are no gas stations on the way.

(I'm assuming, since I've not made the trip)

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Six times zero.

Reply to
krw

Too may potholes!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(1 - v^2/c^2)^(-0.5), clean and oil your abacus first.

Reply to
Eric Sosman

None needed. Although, if you can't refuel, how are you gonna run the engine to keep life support going so the driver can stay alive for 28,000,000 years? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Spam (the canned kind).

Reply to
John - KD5YI

But, that is not a solution. It is an equation. Please solve. Also please state your point of observation.

Many thanks.

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Mark Brader already offered the solution this equation describes. As for point of reference, didn't Michelson and Morley put paid to the relevance of the question? (If you've been getting behind in reading your journals, check the issues from about a century and a quarter ago.)

Reply to
Eric Sosman

;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, the point of reference (or observer's position) does not matter?

Reply to
John - KD5YI

But just imagine how many people we could employ building that bridge. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

For the time dilation, I've read that, well, it doesn't matter, because either one could be used as a point of observation - the difference only shows up if the car turns around and comes back, because it is the one who has undergone acceleration.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What does "... put paid to the relevance of the question" mean?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Then I may be barking up the wrong tree. Not for the first time.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Eric Sosman

That and K0oKs on their imaginary 265 MPH motorcycles. LOL

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Perhaps, but I'm sure with an application of sufficient voltage and current they could be fully ionized.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise wrote in news:imvkk1$cdu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Follow up trivia puzzle:

In an Asimov story, one of the characters gives the differing impressions made by the word "unionized" on two of the other characters as the sort of thing which would eventually lead to the end of the world. Yet this differnce had nothing to do with approval or diaspproval. What then was the difference?

It can be figured out without having read the story. George

Reply to
George Weinberg