OT: The state of American education today?

unionized = not ionized (Chemistry) unionized = having formed a union (Labor) Steve

Reply to
Steve Moulding

The "not ionized" term would be hyphenated.

In ALL cases.

If it isn't, the term is UNIONized, as in the latter definition.

Reply to
SoothSayer

ionized = having a union un-formed (Wisconsin)

Reply to
krw

SoothSayer wrote: ) On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:19:27 -0600, "Steve Moulding" ) wrote: )>unionized = not ionized (Chemistry) )>unionized = having formed a union (Labor) )>Steve )>

) The "not ionized" term would be hyphenated. ) ) In ALL cases. ) ) If it isn't, the term is UNIONized, as in the latter definition.

Cite ?

SaSW, Willem

Reply to
Willem

The lack of understanding of this is rampant among you last three generations of twits coming out of the colleges all over the world, not just here. That's since the late seventies.

Not me, BTW.

Reply to
SoothSayer

SoothSayer wrote: ) On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 17:24:16 +0000 (UTC), Willem ) wrote: ) )>SoothSayer wrote: )>) On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:19:27 -0600, "Steve Moulding" )>) wrote: )>)>unionized = not ionized (Chemistry) )>)>unionized = having formed a union (Labor) )>)>Steve )>)>

)>) The "not ionized" term would be hyphenated. )>) )>) In ALL cases. )>) )>) If it isn't, the term is UNIONized, as in the latter definition. )>

)>Cite ? )>

)>

)>SaSW, Willem ) ) The lack of understanding of this is rampant among you last three ) generations of twits coming out of the colleges all over the world, not ) just here. That's since the late seventies. ) )

So, no cite then, just a rant. Thought as much.

SaSW, Willem

Reply to
Willem

Hmmm.... Who should I believe in this case: Isaaac Asimov who holds a PhD in Biochemistry and who has written so many books and articles over his lifetime that they are practically a library in and of themselves and nearly uncountable, or some guy called Soothsayer who wants to set himself up as an authority on the hypenation of certain words?

Thanking.... Thinking... Crickets chirping...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Moulding

You're a goddamned retard for even asking for a citation, as well as for being too stupid to simply know that I am right.

I thought as much.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Actually, it's the stupidest troll on Usenet:

THE DIMBOOB SCORECARD

Abbey Somebody AllInTheChi AM AnimalMagic Archimedes' Lever AtTheEndofMyRope AwlSome Auger BaltoTopDog BarnCat Bart!

10 BigBalls BillyPilgrim BlindBaby Booong... Bum, Bum, Bum, Bum... (Intel ad)" Bungalow Bill Capt. Cave Man CellShocked ChairmanOfTheBored Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Copacetic

20 Corbomite Carrie DarkMatter DarkSucker Do I really need to say? Dorothy with the Red Shoes on Dr. Heywood R. Floyd Dr. Morel DrParnassus FatBytestard FigureItOut 30 FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor George Orr GooseMan GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

GotchaDumbfuck! Hattori Hanzo Herbert John \Jackie\" Gleason" HiggsField I AM THAT I AM

40 IAmTheSlime ItchyGato ItsASecretDummy Jupiter Jaq Kai KilRoy IsHere LargeMarge life imitates life Lil Red Riding In The Hood

lurch

50 MadManMoon MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

MeowSayTongue Mr.Eko Mr. Haney MrTallyman My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do Mycelium Mycelium

60 Neanderthal Notably Stationed Nunya OutsideObserver Perenis Pieyed Piper Phat Bytestard quasar RoyLFuchs scorpius

70 SkyPilot SomeKindOfWonderful

Son of a Sea Cook SoothSayer Spurious Response StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt Sum Ting Wong Sum Ting Wong

SuspendedInGaffa The Great Attractor

80 TheJoker The Keeper of the Key to The Locks

The Last Mimsy The Loner The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra TheGlimmerMan TheKraken TheQuickBrownFox TralfamadoranJetPilot snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

90 UltimatePatriot UpGrade UpYerNose ValleyGirl VioletaPachydermata WallyWallWhackr WallyWallWhackr WarmUnderbelly WhySoSerious? 100WattDarkSucker 100
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch on Mon, 04 Apr 2011 08:08:25 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Lefties are all about how they feel, not about the facts of the matter.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The irony here is that you're addressing Gunner, who just claimed that the debt run up under Obama is "5 times" that of all other presidents preceding him -- while the fact is that just the last three Republicn presidents, alone, ran it up by 5 times more than Obama.

Either you're writing to the arithmetically challenged, or your point should be expanded to include wingers of both sides. The farther one moves from the center, the loonier one gets.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I tried to find Gunners statement about the debt run up under Obama and could not find it in this thread.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It was in the "OT-Taxing the rich" thread, this past Saturday:

Here are the actual numbers:

Ed Huntress

It would, if those were the real numbers. Debt under Obama, up to Mar. 31, is $2.361 T.

Bush II, $6.102 T.

(If anyone is using the Wikipedia data I linked to before, there is a mistake in it -- or it was an estimate done some time ago. At the end of Bush's last budget, Wikipedia says that the debt was $10.413 T. Although Wikipedia's other data in the table agrees with Treasury, this figure does not. Treasury says it's $11.909 T)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

"Steve Moulding" wrote in news:inaoeq$f6c$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xmission.com:

Well,that one was way to easy, probably these slightly related follow ups are also:

Another one from an Asimov story, a Russian visitor to the US who can barely understand English is complaining about how horribly crime ridden and immoral the US is. Why, he was just sitting in the park and a couple fellow park patrons, upon learnig he could not speak English (at all as they apparently thought), immediately began cheerfully discussing their fiendish plot to abduct and murder a whole bunch of people, at least nineteen! But the guest was slightly mistaken as to what he was hearing. What could these semi-fiends have been talking about? Bonus points if you can name any of the individual victims without looking anything up. I sure can't.

One morer: You are given a one word nerdiness test, read the word and define it. "Persuade" is the failing answer. What is the word?

George

Reply to
George Weinberg

Coax.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Spoiler for name of short story...

Spoiler for name of short story...

Spoiler for name of short story...

Spoiler for name of short story...

Spoiler for name of short story...

"Nothing Like Murder" From "More Tales of the Black Widowers".

As for the 19, they are like the bicycle riding circus animals.

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

And how many years of Bush the lesser and how many years of Obummer does those numbers represent?

Reply to
josephkk

I'm assuming you know how to measure time. Here's a question for you: Where were the fiscal conservatives while Reagan, GHW Bush and GW Bush were running up $11,909 Trillion dollars in national debt? Did they just suddenly learn how to count when Obama entered office?

And what were those three doing running deficits while the economy was humming along? There are good reasons to run deficits when you're in a recession, but I never heard of one for running deficits while the GDP is rising. That's why they called Reagan the Amiable Dunce. GW Bush was even more clueless.

Reply to
Ed Huntress