OT What to do if you accidentally puncture your AC unit?

I just clumsily drilled through something in the AC unit. I can tell because there is some hissing sound as if gases being released. It's on the outside, but maybe I should take the AC out of the window.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Nevermind, it's out of the window, in a safe spot still quietly hissing. I suppose it's the Freon. Time to buy a new unit, next summer.

I wrote:

Reply to
John Doe

If it's a nice unit, you might want to throw a rubber sleeve and hose clamp on the hole. Just to keep contaminants and corrosion out of the works once it stops hissing. It might improve the odds of having it repaired and recharged if you are going to leave it sitting for a while.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yes, but it's best to not wait if repair is planned. Water vapor and corrosion are really hard on such systems, and time is not on your side.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

No, the time to take the AC out of the window was BEFORE YOU DRILLED A FREAKIN' HOLE IN IT !! LOL Seriously, You'll have to have someone solder up the hole and recharge the unit. If it's a small unit, fixing it will probably cost more than it's worth.

Reply to
graydog

I'm a little late to this game, but... If I were to drill through AC plumbing, the very first thing I would do is curse enough to make a drunken sailor blush. I assume you've already done that.

Reply to
rangerssuck