OT-Wrong Time

Congressman King introduces legislation to place duties on Chinese merchandise for violations of United States intellectual property rights

Washington, D.C.- Congressman Steve King (R-IA) released the following statement after introducing legislation today that punishes the People's Republic of China for its failure to protect the holders of United States intellectual property rights. King's legislation, H.R. 3375, directs the President to impose duties on merchandise from China in an amount equivalent to the estimated annual loss of revenue to holders of United States intellectual property rights as a result of violations of such intellectual property rights in China. Under King's bill, the revenue raised by the imposition of duties on Chinese merchandise will be proportionally distributed to provide compensation to holders of United States intellectual property rights.

"The creative genius of Americans, protected by our copyrights, trademarks and patents, is systematically being pirated by the Chinese whose government appears to be complicit," said King. "My bill levies a duty on all Chinese imports in an amount necessary to both pay U.S. property rights holders for their stolen intellectual property and to administer the program. In short, it says to the Chinese: 'Go ahead and steal U.S. intellectual property-we will do what you have refused to do and pay American innovators their due from the duties on Chinese goods.'"

Is this realy a good idea at this time when so many americans are out of work and depend on low cost imports just to survive? So what happens if this becomes law, prices will rise on chinese imports and be passed along to consumers

IP theft will not be stopped.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Cheap goods are more expensive! Buy American made goods if you can FIND them, if you can't, demand them.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Problem is most americans do not understand quality and only look at price.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

As long as there exists a ready supply of buyers for counterfiet and patent in fringement crap products then there will no lack of suppliers standing in line--toss the buyers into jail--wal mart would be a pretty good place to start

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I'll give you odds that the money won't be paid to those who lost it by the int'l theft, either. It'll go into the General Fund, later used to fly more congresscritters to Vegas, where they snort their coke from the belly buttons of legal HOs.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques
[...]

Several years ago, I saw a "60 Minutes" - type show about Chinese copies. They showed, for instance a Jeep, complete with logo, which was totally copied by a Chinese factory. They also showed the patent enforcement office. It was two guys in a small office, sharing a single telephone.

I don't hold out any hope at all of this working, and yes, a trade war is something we really don't want, nor can we afford at this time. Tarriffs are certainly something that should be implemented in the future, but they'd have to be eased into gently.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I think you are being way too optimistic there. And I'm not being sarcastic either. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Yes, I've noticed the frequent references to Harbour Freight :-)

-- John B.

Reply to
John B.