OW

I was using the radial arm drill this afternoon to drill a couple 3/4 holes in 1/2 inch plate. I needed to copy the hole spacing on a part I'd ruined so I clamped it to the plate with a couple vice grips. Then in the drill vice and drill the hole in one shot. The drill grabbed right when busting through and the part pulled right out of the vice and turned into a helicopter.

I'm glad the vice was as high as it was, I just got a nasty bruise on my belly. If it had been a few inches lower, I'd be a soprano right now.

Karl

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Owooofffffff.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Out of all the machines, drill presses scare me the most! I expect that to happen each time I use one no matter how well stuff is clamped.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Drilling sheet taught me to put a L dog down a hole and over the top of the sheet - so if a drill catches - might be a circle cutter - those death defying devices - the metal turns into the dog or the back pole support.

Nothing like a fan blade flying near the eyes.

Mart> I was using the radial arm drill this afternoon to drill a couple 3/4

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Occasionally my drill press reminds me that severing body parts is best done by qualified medical professionals.

Reply to
Denis G.

Sorry to hear Karl, we are in a dangerous business, especially with high torque drill presses. A more regular DP would just safely get stuck.

Ignoramus28088

My DP is belt drive, I've purposely left the belts loose so they slip under overload. It's a pain in the ass sometimes but it's worth the inconvenience.

Reply to
Dennis

Make sure the edges you are clamping in the vise are parallel to each other, mill one or both of them, if needed--most vises, especially the Kurt style, don't clamp securely for instance to bandsawn edges, where basically you only end up putting pressure onto one end of the part...

Also, it's oftentimes hard enough to "let up on the handle" in order keep the drill from "grabbing" when it starts to break through as it is; this situation gets severely compounded if your workpiece deflects downward from quill thrust, because when the drill finally does break through, the workpiece wants to spring back upwards at about the same time which only worsens the situation...

For this reason, whenever drilling plate or sheet materials, it's also good idea to put some sort of support underneath, at a point near to where you are drilling the actual hole.

Thankfully, things didn't turn out worse...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I wouldn't even bother to throw those skivvies in the wash, just throw them away!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sir,

Next time for this purpose you may wish to try a 3/4" bi-metal hole- saw instead of a drill.

There is considerably less drama on break through with a hole saw.

3/4" is about as small as hole saws come though.

If work-size makes it possible, I prefer to do that size hole with the work in a 4-jaw chuck in the lathe and using a boring bar.

Safe swarf, PaulS

Reply to
Paul Schiller

Can you sing worth a shit as a baritone or bass? Barry Gibbs and the BeeGee's made a ton of money singing falsetto sopano.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Like the drill press, they can never be forgiven for what they did.

Reply to
Denis G.

HEY DON, I thought you didn't come here any more. Bet a lot of folks are glad to see a sign off you.

In high school, I took choir for a class. the teacher asked me to help out by only mouthing the words and not make a sound. So, lip sink has been around a long time.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

A FREAKIN' MEN.

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The word is 'sync' but in your case, you may be right. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I see that your sense of humor is returning. :)

That's what Barry Gibbs got for running the mic cord between his legs, and being too cheap to by the longer cord. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I try to slow down and think of how what I'm doing can go wrong and the outcome. It isn't alway easy to do. That which doens't kill you makes you stronger ;) , er more cautious.

I'm glad you are okay for the most part.

Wes

Wes