Screw earth clamps for welding

I've been finding my crocodile earth clamp has been sparking a bit, even when the metal is pretty clean. I thought about making a screw down earth clamp from a G-cramp, but as the commercial ones seem pretty cheap I probably won't bother. Question is, do people find that the screw down clamps are a significant improvement over the crocodile type?

Any suggestions would me much appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The proper commercial screw type ground clamps are bronze alloy with spatter resistant screws. They are very expensive so you are not going to see them on a Home Depot shelf. Some people make their own out of steel plate or use a regular clamp. They are a bother to put on but prevent arc tracks. This is important on critical work. An arc track can be a site for a future crack on something highly stressed. Randy

Any suggestions would me much appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Reply to
RoyJ

Speaking of welding grounds ...

Enjoy ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something else - and the nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression".

Sir John Harvey Jones

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

Hey Grant,

A bunch of very useful stuff on the projects page! I hadn't gone to your site before. The article you reference below is excellent, thanks for the taking the time to write it up.

Regards,

Adam Smith Midland ON Canada

Reply to
Adam Smith

Thinking about it, the commercial clamps I've seen are as costly as buying a decent 6" G cramp, and don't look too strong. I want to be able to screw this thing up really tight, so I think I'll make my own. I already have all the parts except the G cramp.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Seven quid from

> Arc > Earth Clamps.

They are good and can be screwed down as tight as you want. The only modification I've made to mine is to put a trace of grease on the screw to stop it galling.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks for the link. Pity they don't show a picture :-(.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Huh?

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Yes, a good quote, but a bit random!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Just finished making a screw earth clamp from a 6" G-cramp and some brass stock. Will post some pictures soon. Maybe tonight if I don't fall asleep (yawn), otherwise tomorrow.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy