C of G Balance Question re. Seagull Boomerang Trainer ?

Hi Guys...

I've just finished putting together a Seagull Boomerang trainer plane and am seeking a little advice regarding balancing it.

The manual states that the C-of-G is 8.5cm back from the front of the wings leading edge.

I have marked the sides of the fuselage exactly 8.5cm back from the front cutout at the top of the fuselage where the wings seat.

However I am finding that the plane is nose heavy. I have moved the engine as far back on its mount as far as it will go, I also moved the battery as far back as it will go. It looks like it will require about an ounce added to the tail to obtain balance, is this normal? does it sound a lot to you?

I note on a couple of sites I've visited that gives info on balancing that the C-of G is usually situated on the main wing spar. I note on this plane that the

8.5cm mentioned is almost 1/8" away from the spar. Using the main spar as the CofG point the plane is pretty close to being balanced, but that 1/8" is throwing it out of balance. How much added weight to the tail is reasonable.

I picked up some weights from my local angling shop, but they don't seem to be as heavy as they used to be... apparently lead as been banned in the UK so they are using a safer substitute which does not seem to be as heavy at least to me anyway... so hence the appear larger for the given weight.. JMO. :-))

Any suggestions most appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

If you are only an 1/8th" out, don't sweat it. It will fly just fine and it will be more stable slightly nose heavy anyway. Once you get used to flying it, then move the CG back a bit and you will get livlier performance.

Just remember: A nose heavy plane may fly like a dog but it will fly and return. A tail heavy plane only flies once.

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud