40% Pitts Special C of G

I have a Pitts Special that I have inherited but I don't know what the C of G is for it. This model has an 79.5" upper wing span and a cord of 13.5". It is approximately a40% scale model. It is a very well done in the Holiday Inn Aerobatic Team colors. It was built from plans but I don't know who drew up the plans and I can no longer ask. I would hate to damage it so I would rather not rely on my calculations alone. Since the Pitts Special has both staggered wings, and a swept back upper, but straight lower wing, I would like to compare my calculations to what others have. I figured that the C of G should be at 55.9% of the upper wing (measured from the leading edge at the root).

Can anyone give me the C of G they have for their Pitts Special models, expressed in a percentage of the upper wing cord, measured at the root? I figure that as long as your models are built to scale I should be able to translate your measurements to my model.

The one thing I hate the most when test flying a new (to me) model, is not having confidence in the setup. Especially when it is a model of this size and power there is no way I would take it off the ground until I have full confidence in the setup because it could simply cause to much damage, or injury, if it went out of control.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
lenard forder

Lenard, the Pitts S2S (Jim LeRoy's "Bulldog" show plane) I've got came from Andrew Donatelli plans at Blackflight Models and the C of G is 68mm back from the leading edge of the top wing root which is 221mm. I'll leave the % sums to you!! Cheers from Oz.

Reply to
Clive Bendun

HEy Leonard,

Did you ever get an answer? I am in the same boat now. I just got Pitts special but I have no idea where the c of g should go. It look like the front of the lower wing is the go or slightly forward of that

-- dammi

this thread:

dammit