C of G

Should I balance my new Spitfire right way up or upside down?

Thanks, Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Simmons

On 8/20/2004 7:46 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

upside down

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Ted,

I'm brand new to flying, and hopefully my wings will be here tomorro (repaired) and I'll be able to get into the air soon.

I understand the need to balance the airplane within the CG specifie for the airplane, but I don't understand (although maybe I have a hint as to why you would balance a high wing airplane right side up and low wing upside down.

To my way of thinking, if the airplane is going to be flying 'up' the you need to balance it so that it'll be balanced in that flight mode.

Why would you do it upside down?

Gar

-- GaryM

this thread:

GaryMC

Because it's easier to balance it with the weight of the fuselage hanging below the fulcrum point. The fore/aft CG is independent of the position of the wing (above/below) the fuselage. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver